Chapter XXXII

Chapter 32

“I don’t know why I feel like this about them killing Bienve and his father. Like Doña Beatriz said, they have to do it, of course… but I just can’t help but…” I slightly cringed and shook my head.

“Señorita, of course you’ll feel like this. You were with him for months; you can’t help but feel pity for them. But if not them, then Señorito Leonel would be the one to die..” Ellena softly said.

I turned my head to look at Leonel who was with the gentlemen. They were laughing and talking about something while holding their shotguns.

“You’re right.”

“After this, when they return successful, everything must be all right for us. Or easy at least.”

“Seems like their meeting is now through. When do you think will they go?”

“I heard that they’ll go there tonight. They can’t waste time… and the chance.”

My eyes widened. “Tonight?!”

“Yes Señorita. Perhaps after dinner.”

I bit my lip and gripped my skirt. My hands were getting cold.

“Ellena! Let us get the dishes now!” Another servant called.

“If you’ll excuse me now, Señorita.”

I smiled and nodded.

Ellena stood up and walked away from under the tree where we sat.

I rested my head on my knees and sighed.

Why can’t they all just live in peace, so no one has to die…?

“My dear.”

I looked up. Leonel sat beside me.

“I heard you’ll leave tonight.”

“Yes. It shouldn’t be long. The enemies are already there. All we’ll have to do is go there, put up a camp and do the surprise attack. It won’t take a week.”

“Can I come?”

“What? Oh dear, certainly no. It’s too dangerous. Just wait here. I’ll come back in no time.” He smiled and took my hand. I almost forgot every worry inside me.

“I just can’t help but worry… think of the worst things that can happen…”

“Nothing bad will happen, I assure you.”

“But you said it’s dangerous.”

He sighed deeply, still smiling. “Why you stubborn little…”

“But you said it.”

“It is.. for an unarmed lady like you. But not for us.”

“Then give me a gun. I might just be an asset to your group.” I smirked.

“Oh no, do not ever think of it.”

“Why not?”

“No. Not in your wildest dreams, dear. You’ll just wait here and give comfort and company to mama. She is surely worrying too. She’ll need you.”

I sighed. “All right. I trust you.” I smiled and tried to forget every worry in my head.

He rubbed my hand. Our eyes met.

“Do you remember this? You used to rub my hands to calm me.”

I nodded and got closer to him. Every time memories of the past came back to me, I felt like I love him more and more.