Chapter XXV

• Dedicated to Caitlin Lenon Gatchalian

Chapter 25

I felt warm. My eyes were still closed but I was not unconscious anymore. I knew I was lying on the ground with my head resting on a warm pair of arms. A coat was put on over me so I didn’t feel so cold anymore.

I felt so sleepy but then I remember all that have happened.

Suddenly I was aware of a hand holding mine and the other hand was rubbing mine, and massaging between my fingers, something my mother used to do everytime my head ached. She said the massage helps ease the pain in my head, and it always worked. Not so long ago, I remembered I used to rub Leonel’s hands too, when I was still Monica, to comfort him and ease his headaches.

“Leonel…” I assumed.

“Why? Monica… Alix, why?”

My sight was still blurry but then I raised my hand and put it on his face.

I blinked.

It was not Leonel.

I sat up immediately. My eyes widened and all the drowsiness went away.

“Bienve…” I whispered.

He nodded once. I was about to pull my hand away but he held it so tightly and just let it stay in his cheek. He closed his eyes, but he was frowning.

I didn’t know what to do, or even what to think. Why was he here? What did he know? What did he found out?

I just sat quietly, waiting for his next move or word.

He then opened his eyes. His eyes were tender but still heavy and mad. His expression was clearly bitter. What he will do next was so unpredictable.

“Why did you do that?” He rigidly said.

I thought I knew what he was talking about but I still did not know where to begin.

“Why did you go away? Why did you leave me with shame and dishonor?” Then he blinked and snorted. “As if I still care about all that and such. All I care for is only you. Do you not know? I have forgotten the image I had to maintain, my dignity and such, when you said you will marry me and I saw the uncertainty in your eyes. I vowed to myself that I will make you happy, in any way I can, even if that means I have to change myself. Why did you do that?” He said with such hard voice. His eyes were on me, burning.

“I….I am not… I’m not Monica.” I said with shaking lips. His eyes were already fiery and that scared me.

He dropped my hand from his face and grabbed me by my shoulders. His hands were as strong and as hard as iron. I groaned.

“Let go of me…”

“Yes you are not. You are not Monica, obviously. I knew it from the start.”

My eyes widened.

“Monica will never do such reckless thing. Monica… will never try to make a fool out of Bienve Lopez. Never that she will. No one will do.” He said coldly and frighteningly. His voice was cold and his eyes were fiery.

I swallowed.

“But do you know? I still accepted you; I still welcomed you and took care of you. I got over Monica and you replaced her in my heart. Monica broke me, but your sweetness put the pieces of me together again. Why? Why did you have to break me for one more time?”

My cheeks warmed. He sounded so sincere that I almost felt so guilty.

“It’s hard to believe in someone who I know that couldn’t be trusted. Someone who I know is capable of doing unforgivable things…” I said, trying to be brave.