Chapter 23- Bittersweet Revelation

Chapter 23

The boys left for the town first because Ellena said I still had to choose my gown.

“Don’t you still know them, Señorita? The Governor General loves preparing grand balls and inviting the families of his officials. Tonight there will be one for celebrating Christmas and undoubtedly, you are the star of the ball so you have to get yourself ready.”

I nodded. My hands suddenly got cold. I will be presented to a crowd again.

We went to a boutique owned by an old woman. Ellena said that she had known the family for more than ten years and she’s Doña Beatriz’s favorite dressmaker. But since we lacked time, I will just had to choose among her most premium dresses instead of fitting a customized one.

She ushered us to a room full of racks of different gowns then she left us. I started choosing. Most of them were in pastel colors and most were Parisian style.

Ellena made me wear different kinds of ensembles. After almost an hour, I finally chose one that I liked the best.

It was an ensemble of a cream colored abaca puff sleeved shirt with a waist high full skirt in the color of deep green and a black belt with a black choker and emerald stones. The skirt was embellished with black pearls and diamonds. This was a less delicate design compared to my past ball gowns, just for a change.

“Oh what a fine choice, Señorita! Do you know that Señora Beatriz gave me some jewelry to put on you tonight? And they will match this dress just perfectly.”

I smiled. “Thank you dear. I have to thank her later.”

“Now shall we go? We should not be late.”

I nodded then we went straight to the house.

Ellena hurriedly packed my things and sent them to the carriage. It was starting to get dark now and the ball must be starting by now.

We rode an open carriage because all the closed or hooded carriage was already taken. I enjoyed riding an open carriage anyway.

Ellena wrapped me in a thick cape and put the hood up. “So you will not catch cold.” She said.

The cool wind made me feel sleepy. I rested my head in Ellena’s shoulder and let myself fall into a short slumber. I knew the ball will not let me sleep tonight.

“Señorita, we are home.” Ellena gently said as she softly shook me awake.

I immediately opened my eyes and sat up. The carriage was now in front of the back door of the mansion.

Siervo helped me climb down and with Ellena, escorted me to my room. I caught a glimpse of the lobby. There were so many visitors already and the band was playing a merry song.

“Let us hurry now, Señorita. Mariana told me the guests are looking for you.”

She put on me with great effort the shirt and skirt we bought from the boutique, and then fixed some gathers and folds. She then put on my chest a brooch in a shape of a dove made of bronze and green and black diamonds then she put on me the choker and of course my emerald necklace which reminded me of what happened yesterday. I wondered what Leonel would think if he saw this still on me. I hope it would please him for I felt that he was upset yesterday.

Some more maids came to fix my hair. After some fifteen minutes, my hair was up in an elegant do with sparkling little pearls in and for a finishing touch; Ellena tucked a Sampaguita flower in its side.

She then put a powder on my face, a small amount of rouge and perfume.

Now I felt so heavy, everything was heavy, from my shawl to my skirt, the jewelries and even my hair. I took a deep breath.