Chapter XII- Wedding

“Go, hurry!”  Camilla yelled while clapping her hands and watching Goya fetch the bark of tree she threw.

I was crouching on the grass holding her while she amused herself with playing with Goya. I then thought of the woman I saw on the gate that night. Eversince then, I tried to make sense of the things she said.

I remembered when she added,

“The things you see… is your history. They are coming back to you, to your eyes, just to make you remember all that you have gone through. Remember them and don’t waste your chance to make it all right again, Monica. It’s all about them, this is ALL about them, you. This chance, is given to you to make things right AGAIN. You have been given another chance.”

I remembered when she called me by my real name, Alix, and then the next second she called me Monica. I was quite sure no one knows me by my real name save for the people in this house. My identity had to be kept. But then she called me Monica too.

I believe it had a meaning, somehow it means something. As that woman said, I had to figure it out now on my own.

My history… What did she mean? My history coming back to me… to my eyes? Another chance… to make things right again? That it’s all about it? This is all about it? What “this”?

Anyway, she stopped there and asked for a glass of water. After drinking, she walked away as if she hadn’t said anything so mind boggling.

Now I can’t even sleep because of that.

It’s been one week now. I sent Camilla home the day after she arrived but Isabella reported that she cried endlessly the whole day. Even Leonel who’s the closest to her can’t stop her. And so Isabella went back here with Camilla. Bienve was having our merienda by the front garden when Isabella came. Bienve just looked at me and nodded then left. I can only see the dismay in his face that he was trying to hide. I tried not to feel bad about it.

But I felt glad being with Camilla. I wasn’t sure at first but now I can feel a connection between the two of us. She may be just a little child but almost everything she did and said had meanings. She loves to talk about my life. I tried to be careful not to say anything about my real life that I was from another time. I acted just like Monica around her. I felt very bad fooling the little one.

“Mama, when will you see papa today? You and papa haven’t been together for so long. He misses you.”

I chuckled. “We are both busy and so occupied. Don’t worry,er, papa is all right.”

“Are you sure, mama?”

I nodded and smiled. “Yes dear. I know papa.” Ugh, I wonder why I let her call me mama in the first place.

She nodded then stood up and ran to get Goya who got nearly lost in the bushes.

“Ah, Señorita?”

I looked up and saw Isabella. I stood up and faced her.

“Hi Isabella.”

She nodded. “Señora Catalina is calling you to go to her office. She said she have something to say to you, Señorita.”

“Oh, of course. I’ll go there now and please do take care of Camilla. You can take her inside now and clean her.”

She nodded continuously. “Yes, yes Señorita.”

I smiled and walked to the house.

While walking to the office, I saw Bienve standing by the big capiz window facing the garden.