Wake Up

It's so much easier to type up a chapter because I make sure to plan everything out for the next few chapters, so I don't need to stop to think. I just picture what's happening in my head. I guess all my daydreaming in school actually did become useful! Silently cries while eating ice cream.

~~~~~

His hand was cold. I gripped his hand with both of mine, hoping to warm it up.

He looked even paler lying against the white sheets. His face was scrunched up in constant pain. It wasn't physical, the nurse said he was fully healed and for him to only wake up he would need to snap out of whatever was happening inside his head.

She told me to try talking to him, that maybe my voice would wake him up. I doubt that but I tried it anyway. Everyday, I come in here telling him what's happening at school and what he's missing. I tell him of my father's crazy antics. I tell him how much Naruto and I miss him.

Naruto comes with me a lot, he doesn't say anything to him though. He cries most of the time but I think he got used to the sight of Sasuke like this. We spent Naruto's birthday here. My parents, Naruto and I gathered around Sasuke talking quietly. The Hokage even came to give Naruto a present, a little frog wallet. It was cute, it made Naruto happy. 

I gave Naruto a bunch of Ramen coupons, knowing that he spends a lot for all the Ramen bowls he consumes. My parents gave him a new pajama set, a few sizes bigger so he would grow into it. I know that my parents were aware of Naruto's living arrangements but never did anything about it. It made me angry but I'm sure they had their reasons, they love Naruto so much, if they could they would've taken in Naruto a long time ago.

Naruto's been in a slump. His grades have started to lower. I've been telling him to get it together or he'll be held back but I don't think I sounded very convincing myself.

"Welcome home, Mayu-chan!" I stared at her for a few seconds then smiled. I shut the door behind me and placed my bag on the hook, next to mother's coat.

"You hungry? I can fix you a snack." I shook my head and jerked my thumb towards the stairs.

"I'm gonna go take a nap." She faltered but smiled brightly. "I'll come up to get you when dinner is ready." 

I nodded absently.

I climbed the stairs slowly, not bothering to look back knowing she was staring at me. As I reached the top, I heard her go into the kitchen and then the running of water and clank of dishes.

I've snapped out of my childish phase. I guess it's a phase, I've had the chance to start over as a kid. I've been happy, with my new family, with Naruto and Sasuke , even Itachi. What happened to the Uchihas pulled me out of it and now I can't stop thinking about what I could've done to prevent this.

I thought I knew what was going on with Itachi. I assumed that Shisui's death was affecting him and I suppose I was partially correct. The villagers say that Itachi snapped and started killing everyone because of that but I know Itachi. He was strong and Sasuke would've pulled him out of it. He loves Sasuke very much.

I wonder what Sasuke will be like when he wakes up...if he wakes.

We received an invitation in the mail. The funeral was to be held on December 20th. It's been pushed back multiple times, everyone waiting for Sasuke to wake up. But nothing's changed with him so now we're going to have to proceed with it before the rainy season hits us.

It would mean I would have to go to the Uchiha compound.

~~~~~

I ignored the stares. It wasn't as bad with the Uchihas, just thinking about them made my heart ache, since the glares were coming from civilians. 

Everywhere I go, whispers trailed me. I know they were talking about me, civilians weren't as careful as ninjas. They talk about how I was involved with Itachi and that I played a part in the Uchiha's deaths. The adults pulled their children out of the way, standing in front of them as if I was about to attack them. I snorted in disdain.

The only reason I haven't been approached yet was because everyone knows that my family are ninjas and if word got out that a clan heir was attacked by civilians, then they would be dead before they could run.

As I entered the hospital, the woman at the desk nodded towards me. We were quite familiar with each other and I'm sure I would've loved to know her under better circumstances. I signed my name and time on the sign in sheet .

The halls were surprisingly bare today. Usually there were a few nurses bustling about and other visitors. I guess it's because it's a Sunday, the universal day where everyone takes a break.

I approached his bed, his hair has grown longer. His cheeks lost their chubbiness, probably from his lack of exercise and the few nutrients he was getting. There's only so much he could get from an IV.

Throwing away the dead flowers, I placed the bouquet of lilies, provided by Inoichi-san, into the vase. I added the card I made to the already growing stack of "Get well" cards, most of them mine. I bring one in every week, waiting for the day where Sasuke will get to read them.

I sit in my regular chair, back to the door facing the window to keep track of time. I always leave right before the sun sets.

"It's almost Christmas, Sasuke." I paused and stared at Sasuke's face, waiting for him to react. I sighed.

"I don't know what I'm going do for presents. You know how much I suck at choosing presents. You don't have to get me anything though, I'm sure you have other things to worry about."

I talk to him as if he's listening to me. I see him sitting up, nodding to me and smiling as I ramble on. He doesn't bother stopping me, not saying anything, just carefully listening. 

He laughs when I talk about Naruto's latest pranks. He grimaces when I tell him that Aunt Iki is taking a break from her diplomatic duties to come spend Christmas with us.

I smile fondly, he never liked her, she was much too touchy-feely with him. Saying she needed to get to know her little nephew-in-law. I frown, he won't be apart of the family anymore.

I blinked at his prone figure and reached over to grasp his hand. When fingers twitched against my own, I nearly vaulted in shock. I shot up from the chair and leaned over him. I waited with bated breath, waiting for him to open his eyes.

Nothing.

I grasped his hand tighter and slumped down into the chair. At least it's something.

I hope he wakes up soon.

~~~~~~

I hope you figured it out but Sasuke has been in a coma for 3 months. So he went into the coma on September 12th and now it's the beginning of December.