I Have Better Things To Do Than Play With Kids

"Mom." I deadpanned and stared at her intently. "I have two legs, I can walk."

I thought she would've been suspicious with my behavior or at least ask why I'm not acting my age but no. She just pinches my cheeks and rants on about how cute and mature I am. Which gained some weird looks from some passerby's which I found embarrassing. Finally after a few minutes of squealing over me, mother set me down on the ground but easily gripped my hand.

"We don't want you to get lost now do we?"

I sighed as she smiled at me with a malicious glint in her, her eyes bore into me, daring me to refuse. I shook my head slowly, never letting my eyes leave her. She smiled brightly and started to pull me along down the street, ignoring the merchants bustling around. I sighed again while my mother practically dragged me towards the park. I was reluctant to go to the park, and even more reluctant when Mother told me to talk to some kids.

I groaned in protest as Mother dragged me to a park and settled herself on a bench next to some girly looking boy. It was obvious he was a boy, but the longish hair that just grazed his shoulders and girly features made me doubt myself. What made it worse was that mother introduced me to him. He went by the name Uchiha Itachi, he seemed so...aloof. Not like any kid was supposed to act. Are all children like this?

By the conversations between him and my Mother, I found out he was looking after his little brother. After a few minutes of sitting on the bench staring at the kids in boredom, mother finally jabbed me in the ribs with her elbow. I winced at the sudden pain and glared up at my mother who had a threatening fire in her eyes.

"Why don't you be a dear and play with them?"

And what could I say? 'No thanks mom, I've got better things to do?'

Uh, yeah – no, no thanks.

I'd rather not suffer the wrath of Mother, who I found out was quite violent when angered when I watched her pound my Father into the floor when he commented about her weight.

Any kid would have jumped to the chance of playing with others but I'm a grown woman, and I did not find this amusing.

Making an excuse I stared ahead at the children running around.

"I don't know any of them."

I felt someone glaring at me, but wouldn't dare turn, knowing who it was. She is so dramatic.

"I could go introduce her to my brother, Sakishima-san." I looked to my side at Itachi surprised and questioning.

"Oh! You're so kind Itachi-kun!" She giggled and shoved me forward off the bench. I barely hit the floor when I felt arms hold me up. I looked up to see, Itachi staring at me, as if studying me. I inwardly cringed at face and smiled weakly at him. He straightened me and looked towards my Mother.

"I promise to take care of her. Come on, Mayu-chan." I grimaced at the honorifics for my name, but pursed my lips and followed him silently. 

I frowned. Honorific...I automatically assumed "chan" was a honorific. It's weird. I knew exactly what it was. Okay, best not to question it, I think I'll just become too confused.

He led me towards a little boy playing in the sandbox.

"Sasuke." The now named Sasuke looked up excitedly at his older brother and jumped up from the ground.

"Nii-chan!" I took the time to watch Sasuke as he hugged Itachi. He was short, but he had dark hair with a weird blue shine to it. He looked nothing like Itachi, who had completely black hair and with weird lines by his eyes on each side of his nose...well maybe their eyes... 

As I stared at him, I noticed his weird style of hair. It was oddly shaped like the rear end of a duck. I resisted the urge to laugh at the sight of it.

"Otouto, this is Mayu, she's going to play with you."

Sasuke scrunched up his nose and pointed at me, quite rudely too.

"But she's a girl!" I felt my eyebrow twitch and clenched me hands. It's not like I have cooties!

"Yeah, well at least my hair doesn't look like a duck's butt!" He looked at me shocked, and after a few seconds his face changed to anger as if he just realized what I said.

"Take that back!" I stepped back as he lunged at me. Turning away, I flinched, but when I felt nothing on me I looked back to see Itachi gripping Sasuke's collar.

"You shouldn't attack a girl, Sasuke." He raised an eyebrow at Sasuke, who looked down guilty. I looked at Itachi, offended by his statement. Did he just call me weak? That sexist bastard! Glaring, I turned around and stomped towards my mother who was watching me the whole time. Yeah, I know I'm acting very childish but hey, if I'm going to be a kid I might as well act like one. She looked at me in shock and concern. I grabbed her hand and pulled. Realizing I wanted her to stand, she got off the bench.

"What's wrong, Mayu?" I glared back at Itachi and Sasuke who were staring at me in shock and grumbled to myself.

"Let's go back home."

~~~~~

Chan: A familiar honorific used for children or family.

Otouto: Younger brother.

Nii-chan: Big brother in an endearing way.