Waking Up?

Hearing a giggle, I opened my eyes to see some woman next to my face. Seeing this stranger made me completely wake up and start to push myself away. Who is she and what is she doing in my room?! This wasn't my mom!...I grimaced as I remembered that my mom is dead.

Trying to get out of the bed, I found my legs tangled in the sheets. I furiously tried to get the blankets away but that just made them more messed up. Hearing another giggle I looked up to see the lady chuckling behind her hand. Reaching out she easily pushed aside the blankets, my eyes narrowed at her when she walked to a door across the bed. Was she going to get some torture items? She slid open the door, I expected to see weapons covered in blood and possibly a dead body but what I didn't expect to see were clothes. I looked at her confused as she picked out a shirt and shorts with some shoes.

"Come on now, Mayu. Time to get up so I can dress you." I looked up at her, now noticing the height difference. Looking down, I stared baffled at my short legs.

"...'kay." Before I could get off the bed, I felt her arms hook under my armpits and lift me up. Before I could blink or protest, I was in her arms as she walked down the hall. We entered a bathroom and she set me down on the covered toilet.

"Mommie...?" I called out hesitantly, shocked at my high sounding voice.

"Yes, sweetie." So apparently this woman is my mom. I scrunched up my nose at the nickname but just tried to keep the conversation going, hoping I could find any information as to why I'm here and why I'm a little kid.

"Where are we going?"  She stared at me questioningly as if I didn't know, which I don't, but she didn't know that.

"Well, you did ask to go to the park yesterday." She said, as she started to undress me. Once my shirt was off I avoided her gaze with an embarrassed blush. I barely knew this woman and here I was half naked in front of her.

Once she was done dressing me in a green shirt and yellow shorts, she picked me up and placed me on the counter where the sink was. She faced me toward the mirror and I was shocked to see some stranger looking back, I looked completely different. I had short choppy black hair and green eyes, not to mention I looked very pale. Staring at the woman who I now address as 'mom', I now noticed that we looked similar. We both had the same dark hazy green eyes. Her hair was brown though, and it was pulled up into a high elegant bun with needles sticking out. I frowned at the silver glinted things.

"Mommie," She looked up from brushing my hair, "what are those things in your hair?" To make it seem I was just curious, I tilted my head innocently. She looked at me shocked as if this was the first time I asked this question.

"They're senbon." What the hell? What are 'senbon'?

As if to question her I repeated,"Senbon?"

I stared at her reflection in the mirror, she smiled gently at me.

"Senbon are weapons used by ninjas." What.The. Hell.

Ninjas?! And isn't having weapons in your hair dangerous? She could possibly stab her head and I won't be able to help because I'm a freaking little kid!

She laughed at my expression, "Don't worry, they won't hurt me. I'm experienced with things like this."

I stared at her in disbelief; she looked like she was hesitating with something. "You seem different today, Mayu. You never ask about things like this."

I frowned when she mentioned my supposed name. I weighed my options as if I should carry on the conversation. Finally with hesitation I grinned at her through the mirror.

"I want to be a ninja to!" I giggled to keep up the little girl facade but on the inside I was disgusted by myself. I can't believe that weird... girl laugh came out of my mouth. My 'mom' didn't notice my discomfort and just picked me up and started out of the bathroom.