II

Elevator
Mysterious stranger
Confused girl
Blue hair
The start

~~~~

Rain's POV:

The elevator door opened to reveal a tall man, about my age with striking blue hair and a smile plastered on his face.

"Sorry. Here let me help" he offered, a British accent piercing the air. He took hold of the bigger suitcase and dragged it in the elevator. I, in turn, rolled in the smaller one.

"Thanks" I was shocked by the kindness, nobody in New York would do this.

"Anytime" he brought two fingers to his hair and then swing them down, backing out of the elevator then turning around and walking away. For my first encounter with an LA person, it was pretty stellar. I pressed the third floor button and the elevator closed it's doors with a creak and then opened them at the right spot. I walked to the 34th door and turned the key in the lock. The door swung open easily and I walked in, closing the door behind me. Light lit up the open space. I smiled at the sheer size, it was much bigger then my last apartment. The kitchen flowed into the living room, making the apartment an open floor plan. The kitchen was large, with modern appliances, plates and utensils. Everything was clean. I saw a door on the right and entered in, revealing a master bedroom. A queen sized bed adorned it and another door to the bathroom. The apartment only included a bed, a sofa and the kitchen appliances. Everything else you must purchase yourself. I plunked myself down on the couch in the living room but then had to get up and swing all of the windows open to let the hot air in. I breathed it in, ecstatic about my move. A knock on the door threw me out of my thoughts. I walked over to it, clicking the latch to open and swing the door open. Before me was standing the same peculiar individual from the elevator. His smile broadened when he realized who I was. His chocolate brown eyes widening at the sight.

"Hello again!" He expressed and I nodded in response.

"Wanted to come by and say hi to the new neighbor. I love right down the hall" he pointed and then extended his hand forward for me to shake. I did so, still in a trance for some reason. I shook my head.

"Name's Rain" I said, my voice light and airy, filling the space.

"I'm Tom. Tom Cassell" he said, smiling even more.

"Nice to meet you neighbor" I laughed, making him laugh too.

"Do you need help?" He asked, peering into my empty apartment.

"I just have two suitcases, so no not really. All my boxes are still being delivered" I remembered.

"However, I do need food so could you tell me where the nearest grocery store is?" I cocked an eyebrow.

"Why, it's two blocks down the street if you walk to the right. But why don't you do that tomorrow. I invite you for dinner today at my place. Because we're neighbors now" he said, a smile still on his face. A little creepy, yes but who was I to judge.

"Sure" my answer was simple.

"I'll see you at 5?" He asked.

"Sure"

"Bye"

"Bye" I closed the door when I saw him turn on his heels and leave. He was a very strange person but I liked him. I feel like we're going to hit it off. I snapped out of my thoughts when I realized that it was nine in the morning. My stomach growled, reminding me that dinner was at five. I gathered my wallet, phone and keys and left the apartment on search for food. I ended up finding the grocery store from Tom's directions and walked in. It was a decent size, carrying almost everything that I needed. I bought bread, butter, sour cream, salad, some frozen dinners, chicken, some shrimp and fish. I also bought some everyday stuff like salt, sugar, coffee, tea, juice, cereal, milk and everything else that I saw necessary or intriguing. I ended up buying a lot of various fruit to taste and also found two shirts that I could wear.

I pushed my cart to the check out line and ended up having ten plastic bags to carry. I barely made it home only to find that there was a delivery man outside of the apartment, waiting for me to sign for my boxes. I apologized, dropped of my groceries and came back down stairs to sign for the boxes.

"Twenty?" He asked.

"Twenty"

"Thank you"

"Bye"

I took hold of one box, bringing it to the elevator and then repeated the process with two more boxes, both labeled fragile. I squeezed into the elevator and pressed the third floor button. Repeating this process seven times, I was really tired and needed rest. However, I decided to unpack. The boxes that littered my new living room didn't appeal to me. I unpacked the small things but remembered that there was some really heavy stuff that I couldn't lift alone. I sighed, placing my hands over my head and plopping down onto one of the boxes. Suddenly, I remembered. I shot out of the apartment, not bothering to close the door, silently praying that he would be home. I knocked on the apartment door 39 and heard shuffling. A woman about my age opened the door. Her brown hair was in a bun, the wings of her eyeliner sharp and pointed. She was wearing a floral dress, obviously ready to go somewhere. She slipped on a heel and then another, becoming my height.

"Alice, who is it?" I heard Tom in one of the other rooms, his voice getting closer as he appeared around the corner. He saw me and his eyes lit up.

"What's up?" He said to me when he reached the door.

"I need some help lifting some stuff if you don't mind" I answered his question, shrugging my shoulders.

"Of course not!" He threw his hands up.

"You can go Alice, I'll see you later" he kissed her on the cheek and grabbed the keys from her hands. She shuffled out and down the hallway, while Tom and I just stood there, looking at each other. He was the first to clear his throat. We walked back to my apartment.

"It's his box here" I pointed to the one labeled 'computer stuff'.

"So is Alice your girlfriend?" I asked when he bent over to pick up the contents, curiosity getting the better of me. Next thing I knew, Tom was on the floor doubled over laughing while I stood there with an open mouth, staring at his convulsing figure. He rolled onto his back.

"Alice is my sister" he breathed.

"Oh" I started laughing hysterically, joining his fit on the floor, rolling around. We stopped at the exact same moment, our faces inches away from each other. I cleared my throat and shuffled to me feet, shaking my shorts off and extending a hand to Tom. He took it, pulling himself up.

"So where's the box?"