III

Unpack
Dinner
Conversation
Secrets
Falling slowly

~~~~

Rain's POV:

Tom helped me finish unpacking not only my boxes but also my groceries. We fell down onto the couch, exhausted from the efforts. I looked at my phone. It showed three o'clock in the afternoon.

"Thanks" I heaved.

"Wanna come over to watch a movie? And then have dinner? You deserve it, you worked hard" he said, never taking his eyes off the wall in front of him.

"Sure" was my answer. It was surprising to me that we were becoming such fast friends, but it was happening. Tom got off the couch and walked out of my apartment with me in tow.

"What movie did you have in mind?" I asked, eyeing him carefully once I had settled down on the couch.

"How about something futuristic. Star Trek?" He said, facing me. I nearly squealed from his request, it was one of my favorite movies. He saw the smile on my face and took that as a sign to pop in the DVD. The beginning that I knew and loved played through Tom's stereo system. I nuzzled comfortably in the blanket that Tom gave me and grinned.

"I'll make some hot chocolate" he said, getting up, making me smile even more. He came back later with two cups of the steaming drink, marshmallows embezzled on top of mine.

"Thanks" I smiled, Tom was starting to grow on me. He was a sweetheart.

The movie finished and Tom turned to me, sitting cross legged on the couch. I mimicked his motion, crossing my legs in front of me.

"So tell me about yourself" he said with a hint of a smirk.

"Well I enjoy, video games, horseback riding, water sports, traveling, camping and I am a counselor at this theatre camp" I said, matter of factly. Tom nodded his head throughout my statements.

"You like acting?" he asked, his eyes a bit wide.

"I love it. I've been acting since I was a little girl. I do monologues, scenes, plays and anything similar. I'm also a singer and can play guitar and piano. This sounds like I'm bragging, but I'm really not" I laughed and was surprised by my own statements.

"Wow. I would have never guessed. I used to act through middle and high school. Then I got into YouTube in college and that became my source of acting. I acted in front of the camera and made friends with similar interests. So thanks to theatre, I am now here and I have great friends, a solid career and a pretty good income if I may say so myself" Tom added.

I nodded my head, turning my head back to the dark screen.

"You wanna stay for dinner? It's six in the evening" Tom chimed in.

I nodded slowly, thinking about my last encounter with a guy. Goosebumps rose on my arms and I shuddered slightly but smiled and turned to Tom.

"Yes. I would love to" my New York accent shined through, making my friend laugh. Tom bounced off the couch, grabbing my hands and leading me to the dining room.

"Sit here" he pointed me to a chair and then disappeared into the kitchen. Only two minutes later I heard pots and pans clanking on the tiles and a British voice letting out some cuss words. His statement made me chuckle so I walked into the kitchen.

"Need help?" I asked the couching man. He turned suddenly, scared by my entrance.

"I've never really cooked for anyone" he blushed crimson.

I chuckled again, walking to the  stove and turning it on.

"Lucky for you, I cook everyday" I said while putting water into the pot.

"What are you going to cook?" Tom cocked an eyebrow at me.

"Do you have pasta?"

"I think so" he rummaged through his half empty cabinets pulling out an opened pack of pasta.

"This isn't going to be enough, I'll have to make something else" I said, pulling open the doors of the huge fridge. It didn't reveal much, just empty shelves with some juice and uncooked sausages. Luckily, I found an unopened jar of tomato sauce that I could use as a topping for the spaghetti. I also extracted two bottles of coca cola and dumped them on the dining table. Tom was watching me, hawk eyed, learning my recipe, memorizing my movements around the kitchen.

"What are you looking at?" I laughed.

"You" a plain answer was fired back at me. I blushed, yet again and continued my bustling around.

I found a tomato and a red bell pepper in the cabinets and ended up making a simple salad with some ranch dressing (that was going to expire tomorrow, mind you).

"Dinner is served" I grinned, plopping two steaming plates of spaghetti garnished with tomato sauce and salad on the side, onto the table. Tom sat down, awe written all over his face.

"Oh wow, this is delicious" his chocolate brown eyes met my blue ones. I nodded in response, trying to be polite and not talking with my mouth full.

Tom tried to make small talk over dinner and every sentence he spoke flowed out like a bunch of words on wings. His statements firm but questioning, the topics philosophical. I was getting really lost in him and his intelligence. He really was mesmerizing. I wonder if he felt the same way. Probably not.

I shook my thoughts away and listened to Tom, nodding my way through the conversation.

"Thanks for dinner" he said, getting up and putting both of our plates in the sink.

"Shouldn't I be thanking you?" I came up behind him and he twisted around only to end up slipping on the tile and falling, brining me down onto the floor. My head hit the cold stone and sent pain down my spine.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry" he dusted himself off, getting up and offering me a helping hand. I took it and he pulled my up and into his arms. He enveloped me in a hug.

"I'm so sorry" he cooed into my ear.

"It's okay" I breathed into his shoulder. He let me go, observing me carefully, making sure that I didn't fall over. I brought my hand to the back of my hand and, amazingly, there was no blood there. To my surprise I had not cracked my skull open on the cold floor. I smiled at Tom.

"Thank you for your hospitality and the movie. I guess I'm going to go home now seeing that it is near ten o'clock" I gave him a small pat in the back. He, in response, gave me a small wave and stood in the middle of the kitchen as I walked away and closed the door behind me. That was one eventful evening.