XVI

"The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential... these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence."
-Confucius

Rain's POV:

I awoke Saturday morning, in a rush. It would be terrible to be late today. In the evening, Tom and I had a dinner to attend with a bunch of friends. Before that, however, I had the whole day of meeting fans and being at panels.

I dressed quickly throwing on a maroon sweater and I rushed out the door, locking it behind me. I arrived at the convention center 20 minutes later, just in time for my panel. I got on the escalator and looked at my phone, which had the schedule on it.
Suddenly, everything came to an abrupt stop and I was sent flying backwards with a yelp.

~~~

Tom's POV:

A white hospital room was definitely not a place I wanted to be at right now. It was serene, an eerie quiet that wrapped around me and the person on the bed. The only thing that interrupted the silence was the steady beeping of the heart monitor. I've been staring out the window for a while now, begging God that she would be okay. I couldn't imagine life without her. I had gotten an urgent call in the middle of my panel that forced me to run out of the panel without an explanation. My Twitter and messages were being bombarded but I didn't care. My gaze left the window and settled on Rain.

Her blank face expression scared the hell out me. An IV was attached to her arm and a bunch of wires and tubes were going in and out of her body. The doctors told me that they weren't sure if she would wake up, and that the best we could do was wait.

I hated waiting. The bruise on Rain's face was starting to get blacker, her legs were covered in bandages. It hurt me to see her like this, a lot. My thoughts were interrupted by the doctor.

"We need to do a routine check, can you please vacate the room?" He asked.

I nodded, not being able to croak out an audible answer. Before I left the room, I came up to her and moved her hair from her face and kissed her forehead.

"Wake up soon moroso" I whispered and then dashed out of the room, letting the doctors do their job. I sat in the waiting room for what seemed like hours, even though I knew it was minutes. The thought of loosing Rain without having the chance to spend the rest of my life with her, was killing me. I didn't even notice when I nodded off to sleep.

I was shaken awake by the same doctor and I almost screamed.

"Is she awake?!" I said, rather loudly.

He shook his head and pat my shoulder.

"Go home, Mr.Cassell. We'll give you a call if anything happens" he smiled wryly.

I couldn't believe the words I had just heard. I nodded though, confused. I shuffled to the exit and checked my phone, the time read 2:08am. I sighed and made my way to the sidewalk. Hailing a taxi, I got in it and told the driver my hotel address.

I paid the fair, giving him a tip and took the elevator up to my floor. I flopped down on to the bed and closed my eyes.

I didn't even realize when, but I started crying. I wasn't bawling, but a few tears did land on the pillow. It was tearing me apart that I couldn't tell Rain how much I loved her. I wiped away the tears that were threatening to spill and climbed under the blankets. I fell asleep in a matter of minutes.

I awoke to the sound of my phone ringing and almost fell off the bed trying to grab it.

"Hello?" My morning voice was showing.

"Mr. Cassell?"

"Yes"

"She's awake" the doctor said.

I hung up the phone and bolted out the door. Thank god I still had my clothes on from yesterday.

Taxi. Pay. Tip. Run. Heavy breathing. Hospital doors. Front desk. 'Rain'. Room 402. Doctor. Light. Beeping. Her.

I smiled for what seemed like the first time in ages. She was sitting up, a tired expression on her face. She almost looked a light shade of green but it was her.

"Tom" she smiled, her voice barely audible.

I heard the doctor shut the door behind me but I didn't care, my eyes were fixed on hers. I took a few tentative steps forward and was sitting at her bedside. I took her hand, her fingers slowly curling around my palm.

"I thought I had lost you" I croaked. I received an unlikely response, a laugh.

"You can't get rid of me that easy" she chuckled. I bent down to kiss her forehead.

"There's so many things I haven't told you yet and that almost killed me" I whispered, half hoping that she heard that, half hoping she didn't.

"Me too, Tom. Me too. Now can you go ask the doctor how soon I can get out of this dump? The hospital beds are mighty uncomfortable."

I nodded quickly, gathered myself up and exited the room.

"How soon can she get out?"

"Tomorrow morning. We need to run a few tests" the doctor said, jotting something down on his clipboard.

I was ecstatic to deliver the news to Rain.

A/N: Sorry I didn't update last week, I was busy packing for LA. Now I'm back though, so we should be back on a good schedule :D missed you guys!