XVIII

"Everybody wants happiness, nobody wants pain, but you can't have a rainbow without a little rain"
-Unknown

Rain's POV:

My mother was driving me insane. She was only here for an hour but she had already insulted me more than she had for the past 5 years. I needed to get Tom out here or else I was going to go crazy.

"I'll be back" I mumbled and stumbled into the backyard. The dew on the grass touched my bare feet but I didn't care. I rushed into Tom's recording room.

"Okay. I'm going crazy over here. Help" I said, quickly.

Tom nodded, got to his feet and walked with me back to the house. I gestured for him to stay in the hallway while I broke the news to her.

"Mom" I said, entering the kitchen, "there's somebody else in this house"

"An intruder?!" She grabbed a knife off the counter.

"No! No! He's important to me. Very important. His name is Tom. You can come in now" I said, slowly. I watched as my mothers eyes narrowed when Tom walked into the kitchen.

"A roommate? I told you you were poor. Can't even afford to live alone" she scoffed.

I looked at Tom a pleading look in my eyes.

"Actually Mrs....." He paused.

"Ma'am. Just call me ma'am" my mother growled.  

"Ma'am, I'm her boyfriend" Tom mumbled out, making sure to put emphasis on boyfriend.

My mother jumped on her feet and was at our noses in two steps. She glared me in the eyes. Then her hand came crashing down on my cheek, leaving a nasty red mark. Tom moved me out of the way and blocked my mother from coming near me, a furious look on his face.

"Control yourself" he said, his voice low and deep.

"Also, I do gaming, steaming, and YouTube for a job" I squeaked out, rubbing my cheek to lessen the pain.

"First you don't tell me you move! Then you don't tell me you buy a house! Then you don't tell me about your stupid boyfriend! Then you don't tell me about your job? Who do you think you are?!" My mother shrieked, obviously mad.

"Independent. I'm independent. I don't need you to wipe my butt anymore mom. I'm 22 for Christ's sake!" I said, calmly, trying not to aggravate her more.

"You're coming back to live with me in New York. This is unacceptable. I never gave you permission to do this" her eyebrows furrowed and she crossed her arms across her chest.

"You can't make me"

"Yes I can"

Tom looked at me, scared. That's when I realized that she really could and that if she did, my life would be over.

~~~

For the next few days, my mother was packing my stuff. I refused to talk to her, still positive she wouldn't be able to bring me back to New York. First of all, she was broke. Second of all, she couldn't. I was an adult.

Tom never left me alone with her, he was always by my side. He made sure I was fed and loved while my mother rampaged through the house. She refused to sleep, all she did was pack and ship my stuff off to her sisters house in New York. The house I worked in for the past while was starting to look barren and sad. I was becoming more and more worried every day, by the hour.

"You're going back to New York" one morning, Tom said that to me. I turned to him.

"No, I'm not"

"Yes you are, there's two plane tickets on the table" he said.

"My mother can't drag me out of the house Tom"

"But the authorities can" I watched as a single tear rolled down his cheek.

"I'm not going no anywhere" I assured Tom and pulled him into my arms.

Turns out that Tom was right. I don't know what kind of strings my mother pulled but in exactly one week I was standing in front of the airport security, my backpack around my shoulder, gripping Tom's hand. He wasn't allowed past this point in the airport. I turned to him.

"Skype me every day. Stay safe. I will figure out a way to return to you. I promise" I said, tears streaking my face. Tom looked at me, regret and fear in his eyes.

"I..." He mumbled, "I love you. I'm going to miss you. Come back soon."

He kissed me, lingering on my lips, stroking my hair. I pulled away and hugged him, silently crying into his shoulder.

"Let's go" my mother shouted behind me.

"Bye Tom"

"Bye Rain"

And like that, we were separated. I didn't know when, if ever, I was going to see him again and that broke my heart. I was in a daze while we went through security and boarded the plane.

I was jolted awake by a text.

Tom❤️: I found a few legal rules that state you're to old to be governed by your mother. She lied, Rain. Get off that plane.

I looked outside the window, the plane was already rolling onto the runway.

Rain💜🦄: Send me the docs Tom

I watched as a PDF file arrived on my phone and I heard the engines roar. It was going to be to late. I jumped up from my seat.

"Stop this plane!" I screamed, "I'm on here without my consent!"

I ran through the cabin, hearing my mother yell behind me. I reached a flight attendant and shook her by the shoulders.

"This is kidnapping. I'm not supposed to be on this flight!" I said quickly.

She hopped up from her seat and banged on the doors to the pilot booth. Everything was a daze for me and I felt as the plane lifted off the runway into the air. I lunged backwards, gripping the handle sticking out of the wall. I backed myself against the standing cart. I listened as the woman explained everything to the pilots and then I felt the plane level out. It turned around, heading back to the airport.

I didn't remember much afterwards. I remember being back in Tom's arms. I remember my mother being arrested. I remember crying while Tom led me back to the car. I also remember having a relived feeling. Happiness almost.