XI

"People say you don't know what you've got until it's gone. Truth is, you knew what you had, you just never thought you'd lose it"
-Anonymous

Rain's POV:

The scene that was presented to me was truly terrible and hard to watch. Tom was crouched in front of my lifeless body, sobs racking his body. Paramedics were trying to pull him away from me but he refused, his arms batted their away. Tom didn't say anything, he just kept crying. Until I heard an almost inaudible whisper escape his lips.

"I just had you and now I lost you"

Now it was my turn to cry at his sweet words. I turned to the man with a questioning look on my face.

"What happened?" I asked. In return, he swiped his hand one more time and the scene re winded. There I was, folded in half in the smoky hallway in the building. I was already passed out by this point so that would explain why I had no recollection of this moment. Suddenly, Tom came into view. Running up the stairs, his shirt was ripped and half of it was covering his face. He was wearing goggles that were starting to get covered in soot. Tom ran up to my figure, scooped me up and brushed my bangs from my face.

"Oh my god" he said, tears already forming in his eyes as he ran back down the stairs and out the building.

"Doctor, we need a doctor over here!" he yelled and dropped me onto the ground a safe distance away from the expanding flames. A doctor landed down next to me and checked my pulse. Then he faced Tom, a sorrowful look on his face.

"I'm sorry sir" he said.

And then the scene that I saw in the beginning played again. I couldn't bear to watch it again so I turned around to face the man.

"So what now?" I asked.

"Now. Now you are given the choice that everybody is given when they come here" the man smiled.

"What is that? And where is here?" I flailed my arms.

"The choice is either go back to life or stay here. Here is heaven" the man said.

"Of course I want to go back" a smile crossed my face.

"Under one condition. You do not speak of what happened here or me. If you do, you will die and disaster will strike your loved ones" the gentleman crossed his skinny arms behind his back and gave me a stern look.

"I promise" and as I said those words I felt myself start coughing and breathing rapidly. When I opened my eyes, Tom's face was in front of mine and his mouth was hanging wide open, surprise written on his face.

"You. You were dead" he mumbled, taking my face into his hands.

"I was" I answered and shrugged. Tom pulled me up and enveloped me in a huge hug.

"I thought I lost you. After I had just acquired you. It was terrible. I love you Rain"

"I love you too Thomas" I smiled and kissed his cheek.

Tom swooped me up into his arms, refusing to let go of my still fragile body. He carried me to the nearest, my head nestled carefully on his neck. Tom placed me on the bench, making sure to be careful with how he handled me.

"Thank you"

"For what?" he looked puzzled.

"I presume it was you who took me out from the burning building?" I cocked an eyebrow.

"You presume right" he said and kissed my forehead.

"We lost everything. What are we going to do?" I said, folding my arms across my chest. Here we were, homeless, nothing in our possessions but our phones and wallets, dirty and covered in soot.

"We're going to combine our funds and buy a house. That's what" I heard Tom's confident voice.

"You're kidding?" I turned to him.

"Nope. Not for one second. It'll be great. We'll live together and everything" he grinned.

"Don't you think it's to soon?"

"I don't. Do you?"

I shrugged my shoulders in response. Everything seemed sudden and unexpected to me. I was a person who liked to plan. I liked looking forward to something good, but this. This is so much. I felt my palms sweat so I cleared my throat and got up. The city was quiet, the metal chain of the broken swing was hitting the pole making a clanging sound every couple seconds. Tom looked up at me from the bench and smiled. I smiled back.

"What do we do for now?" I took my phone out of my pocket signaling to him that we had some sort of communication with the world. Tom's face lit up and he shot up.

"We go to a hotel and sleep. And tomorrow, bright and early, we start house hunting" Tom said and then threw his arm around my shoulder and picked up his pace.

I'm not complaining. I'm happy and I'm glad that even after tonight's events Tom still wants something to do with me. It brought a certain ping of happiness to my heart knowing how much he cared.

We walked to the nearest hotel (thanks to my gps it wasn't that far away) and got a room for one night.

"I'm taking a shower" I said firmly when we walked through our hotel room door. Tom nodded and sat down at the small coffee table and turned on the TV.

I stepped into the shower and let the warm water take the soot of the fire off of me. I washed my hair and dried it with a towel. There was a bathrobe provided and I took advantage of that, growing it on around my shoulders.

"I'm going next" Tom said when I walked out of the bathroom. Now it was my turn to watch TV. Tom had left his phone on the table, unlocked for the world to see. My curiosity got the best of me and I glanced over to it once I heard the water turn on. It was a website that displayed all the house listings in the greater LA area. They were all a bit on the pricey side and really big just for a couple people. I grabbed his phone and did some research of my own and came across a really nice two bedroom house with great appliances, a spacious kitchen and two bathroom. It would be perfect for us and if we wanted to have guests. What made it even better is that it wasn't even overly expensive. It was a good price. I smiled as I put he phone back down on the table and make sure it was still displaying that house.