XVII

"All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother"
-Abraham Lincoln

Rain's POV:

A few months after my escalator shenanigan, Tom and I were back in LA and I had received rather unpleasant news.

I mean, for other people it might be great news, amazing even. For me, however, the news made me want to curl up in a ball and never leave my bed.

My mother was coming to town.

It was nearing Christmas. Tom and I had already decorated the house in festive colors. My mother had sent me an email that weekend that said she was coming down for a week. A week?!

The history with my mother wasn't spectacular. She was a cheap woman that didn't love me or her husband. She still lived in New York and I hadn't spoken to her in years. It's been three to four years since she last contacted me. When I was a child, she hit me, called me names and told me I was worthless. Yeah, my childhood wasn't the best.

On the other hand, my dad was a great guy who loved me unconditionally and tolerated my mother for years until he was finally fed up. I left New York to escape my problems, my mother was one of them.

"Rain, does your mother know?" Tom asked, after I told him the story.

"About?"

"Everything"

"My move? Or us?" I questioned.

"Both"

I sighed.

"No. She doesn't know I moved. She also doesn't know about you" I said, holding my phone in my hands, ready to answer the email.

"Don't tell her about me, just tell her you're in LA. She can meet me when she comes. Surprise, right?" Tom chuckled.

I nodded and typed out the response to the email.

Mom,

I know I didn't tell you but I moved to LA a few months ago. Well, more than a few.
I'm really happy, mom. If you so wish, you can come and visit me. Here's the address: 8863 Oak Avenue Los Angeles, CA 90068.
I'm well off, I'm glad I moved. I hope you can deal with that.
From,
Rain

I clicked send with a sigh. Tom pat me on the shoulder awkwardly and walked away. I stared out the window until I heard a ding from my phone.

Rain,

What the hell?! Why didn't you tell me? This is unacceptable. You're my daughter. I HAVE to know what you do. I'm coming next week. You're not going to get away easy.

Mom

Shudders ran through my body. My hands shook and I almost dropped my phone.

"Tom?!" I yelled, my voice shuddering. He ran into the room, his eyes wide.

"What's wrong?" He puffed.

I extended my hand so he could take the phone from me. I watched as his eyes scanned over the screen, his eyebrows furrowing.

"Rain.. I'm not going to let your mother hurt you. I'm here" he said as he settled down on the couch next to me and pulled me into his arms. I closed my eyes. It felt safe, like nothing could hurt me. Not even my mother. I pulled away and smiled weakly.

"Thanks"

~~~

The next week went by slowly. I made space in the guest bedroom for my mother, cleaned the kitchen and tidied up the house. She was scheduled to come on Monday.

It was Sunday night. I stopped Tom as he walked out of the bathroom adjacent to the bedroom.

"Tom. Whatever happens tomorrow. I still love you" I chuckled. He landed a kiss on my lips and fell down on the bed. I proceeded to do the same thing me Tom pulled me close to him, resting his chin on top of my head. My heart was beating fast but when I heard Tom's slowed breathing it calmed me down. If he wasn't worried, I wasn't either.

~~~

My alarm blared at seven in the morning, signaling for me to get up. Tom rubbed his eyes.

"She's taking a taxi here. Her flight lands at 7:30. She should be here at 9" I said while getting up.

Tom nodded and waddled into the bathroom. I heard him turn on the shower. I went into the other barroom and took a shower and did my makeup. From my closet, I picked out a black blouse and washed out blue jeans. I threw my hair into a French braid and joined Tom in the kitchen.

"Smells great" I said, looking at the French toast he was making. I sat down at the table, popping open my laptop and reading the morning news.

Something about space. Something about life after death. Something about the end of the world. Something bashing on interment personalities. Same old, same old.

I started editing a YouTube video of CS:GO highlights. I wanted to make it extra good and funny for my viewers. I was so engrossed in editing that I didn't even realize as the clock struck 8:56 and the doorbell rang. My head shot up and I made eye contact with Tom who was standing across the room. I signaled for him to go to his recording room and stay until I called him. He nodded, made a heart with his hands and briskly walked out. I sighed, smoothing down my blouse and walked over to the door.

"Ah, Rain! Long time no see" my mother exclaimed as she burst through the door. She threw her suitcase down onto the floor (making a scratch on the new floors). I cringed at her sudden entrance.

"Please, let me show you to your room" I said, waving my hand in the direction of the guest bedroom. She barged through, entering the bedroom.

"How did you even afford this?" She scoffed, "You're not smart and you're definitely not rich".

My mother words stung. Even after all these years, she was just as cruel.

"Why did you decide to visit me now?" I blurted out.

"Because you're my daughter. Also, because I got kicked out of the apartments for dealing weed. So I'm staying with you" she said, landing on the bed with a thud.

"For how long?" I tensed up.

"For forever. It's not like you have anyone else"