Memories

The next morning wasn't the best. I woke up to an empty apartment. I dragged myself out of bed and checked myself in the mirror. There was an ugly bruise on my cheek where Aaron had hit me. I sluggishly put some clothes on and put my hair up, my eyelids drooping. I didn't get the best night of sleep. I grabbed my jacket and left the apartment, making my way to Granny's. I walked into the diner and sat at the familiar booth against the window. Peter was sitting at his table and he looked at me as I came in. I avoided his gaze. I ordered some breakfast and ate silently. I wonder where Aaron slept last night, I thought. I doesn't matter. We're over. If he comes near me I'm going to explode. Peter was looking at me with a confused expression, probably wondering why Aaron wasn't with me. I finished my meal and paid the bill, making my way over to the door. Just as I was about to reach for the handle, it opened. Aaron walked in, his hair tousled and his eyes bloodshot. I turned around to walk to the back door but he followed me.

"Ava, I can't even begin to express how sorry I am." Aaron began.

"Then don't. Goodbye." I snapped. I started to stomp away from him but he grabbed my arm.

"Ava, please-" He started. I ripped my arm from his grasp.

"Don't ever touch me again. Just leave me alone." I spat. He looked at me apologetically, but I ignored it. I was furious with him.

"Ava, I-" He began.

"I believe she said to leave her alone." I heard an agitated voice say. I turned to see Peter standing at my side. He was shooting a glare at Aaron. I joined him, narrowing my eyes at Aaron. He looked from me to Peter, then back to me. He made a frustrated noise and stomped out of the diner. After he left, I sighed with relief. I turned to Peter.

"Thanks." I said. He smiled crookedly.

"No problem." He replied. There was a moment of awkward silence.

"Would you like to take a walk?" Peter asked.

"Yeah, sure." I replied with a smile. We walked out of the restaurant and down to the docks. We sat down at a bench and watched the water lap against the dock.

"So, you and Aaron aren't together anymore?" Peter asked. I chuckled.

"Is it that obvious?" I said sarcastically. He laughed with me. Peter glanced at my cheek.

"What happened there?" He said, his fingertips brushing gently across my cheek. It sent tiny shocks of electricity through my body. I touched the bruise and laughed nervously, looking at my shoes.

"Aaron ugh...he hit me." I said quietly.

"What?!" He said, his eyes lighting up with rage.

"That little-" Peter said  starting to get up. I pulled him back down by his arm.

"No, don't. Just let him go." I said. Peter looked at the direction that Aaron had gone, but then sat down reluctantly.

"Why?" Peter asked. Because then there will be a big fight and one of you could get hurt and I just don't want it see him again, I thought. Of course I wasn't going to say all of this.

"I just don't want to see him again. It's done, we're done." I said. There was a moment of silence. Peter cleared his throat.

"I wanted to talk to you about the woman who kidnapped you." He said. My eyebrows knitted.

"Why?" I asked.

"I just...need to know who she is." Peter said. I shifted in my seat.

"Alright." I said after a while. Peter nodded his head slightly.