Free

"Dad?" I choked out. My mother and long lost father stood not 10 feet from me. He smiled at me, the skin around his blue eyes crinkling. It was heartbreaking and heartwarming. He smiled at me like like I imagined a father would look at his newborn child. The last time he saw me, I was 9 and Sam was barely a year old. But he looked as if he hadn't aged a day. Not a gray hair, not a wrinkle more than the day he disappeared. I glanced at Sam, who was staring at me in disbelief. "This is our father?" his eyes asked. Sam was too little to remember him. I nodded at him. My mother looked as if she would tear up. They were both wearing ripped clothing and were covered in dirt. How long have they been here?

"Isn't this a real family reunion." Pan interrupted my thoughts. I wanted to run over and hug them both, but Pan's hand tightened on my arm. He whipped out a knife and held it to my neck.

"My patience has run out. You will give me what I want." Pan barked. Sam struggled in his captors hold.

"No, he w-" Sam was cut off when a hand was clamped around his mouth.

"Now, I'm going to make you a deal, Shaun." Pan said calmly. "You will give me the evidence I need, and I will give you back your child."

"Dad, whatever Pan needs don't give it to him." I pleaded. The knife pressed further into my skin, and I sucked in a breath through clenched teeth. Felix held a small piece of blank parchment and a pencil out to my father. My father looked torn, and tears were streaming down my mothers face. After a moment of silence, my father snatched up the paper and pencil. He strode over to a tree stump and began drawing on the paper. He sketched for a few minutes then handed it back to Felix, who gave it to Pan. On the paper was a drawing of a face, a young boy's face.

"This is the boy I need?" Pan asked.

"Yes." my father confirmed. "Now let us all leave." Pan jerked his chin towards Sam, and they released him. My mother and father wrapped their arms around him.

"What about Ava?" My mother squeaked. Pan snickered.

"No I think I'll keep her." He replied.

"No! You said you'd-" my mother began.

"I said I would give you your child, which I have. I never specified the fate of Ava." He boasted. My mother nearly screamed with frustration.

"Oh, don't worry. She'll be perfectly safe. She will live here on Neverland with me and never age. It's not a bad life. Don't you think Ava?" I scoffed.

"I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong." I said smartly. I was rewarded with a kick to the back of the knees.

"You might want to leave, before I change my mind." Pan snarled. My family gave me a look that said, "This is not over." and started to trudge toward the forest. One second they were walking calmly, the next they had weapons in their hands and were attacking the Lost boys. What the hell?! Pan's grip loosened out of surprise and I broke free. I ran over to Sam, who cut the rope around my wrists. He handed me a sword and I joined in on the battle. Clangs and grunts filled the campsite. Lost boys vs. Highmarks. And it looked like we were winning. Sure, Pan had more Lost boys but we were more skilled fighters. I knew my father could fight and Sam could fight but I was surprised to see my mother slashing with her dagger like it was second nature.

"Run!" my father shouted to Sam and I. We bolted into the jungle, going different directions.
➳➴➵➶➷➸➹
I was perched in a tree. The Lost boys had chased me into the jungle, but I had lost them. I was no fan of long distance running, but I could be pretty fast when I wanted to be. The jungle was silent now, and my breathing was harsh in my ears. Had Sam gotten away? No one was following me, this wasn't right. Pan would have sent every Lost boy out to bring Sam and I back to camp. What if Pan had caught all of them and was torturing them right now? I had to find them. I jumped from the tree, landing unsteadily on my feet. I walked carefully throughout the jungle, straining my ears to hear anything unusual. Nothing. Not a clutter of footsteps, not a voice. As I neared closer to the camp, I heard voices having a conversation. I hid behind a tree and listened.