No mercy

Hours passed. Pan continued to play his pipe, and his Lost boys continued dancing around the blazing fire. My eyes stayed on Sam through most of the "party." He did seem happy, but why? Is that all he cares about? Being forever young and living without adults? I thought my little brother was more complex than that. I pulled my cloak tighter around my shoulders, even though I wasn't cold.

Sometime in the middle of the party, I decided to sneak off to Pan's tent and retrieve my knapsack. When I was sure no one's eyes were on me, I slipped away from the fire lit area and into the line of tents. Pan's tent was similar to all the others. Except there were more wooden chests and they all had locks on them. And the small table had various maps and papers scattered on top of it. I began searching for my pack. It was hidden under his cot. I knelt on the floor and pulled it out. Hastily throwing it open, I checked the contents. Everything was still there, I even found my dagger. I attached it to my belt, feeling its familiar weight on my hip. I shouldered my knapsack and stood up.

"What are you doing in my tent, Ava?" a voice chimed. I whirled around, yanking out my dagger and pointing it at the figure in the tent. Pan stood, with an infuriating smirk on his lips. Without thinking, I pinned him to the pole holding up his tent, my blade pressed against his throat. I expected him to be surprised or angry, but he just looked...amused.

"I want some answers, why the hell did you take Sam?" I demanded.

"Watch your language there, Ava." Pan teased.

"I don't take orders from you." I hissed. Suddenly, Pan spun me around and pressed my back into the pole, the hand holding the dagger pinned to my side.

"You're going to have to if you want to stay alive on my island." he whispered in my ear, making shivers run down my spine. I pushed him off me, shoving my dagger back in my belt to show my cooperation. He smiled darkly. I pushed past him and walked out of the tent.

Collapsing on my cot, I exhaled deeply. I shrugged off my pack and shoved it under my bed. I slipped off my boots and unlaced my corset. After unclasping my belt and yanking out the rubber band keeping my braid secure, I lay on my side on the cot, and drifted to sleep.
➳➴➵➶➷➸➹
I awoke to the sound of laughter. The sun was shining brightly through the material of my tent, and I blinked. The laughter was coming from outside, the Lost boys must be making breakfast. I sat up on the cot and rubbed my eyes. I slid my feet into my boots and laced up my corset. I clasped my belt around my waist and quickly braided my hair. After taking a swig from my canteen, I stepped out of my tent. The Lost boys were all sitting around a fire, cooking eggs. I spotted Sam and he waved me over to him. I sat next to him on a log and smiled warmly. He smiled back and handed me a bowl.

"Good morning." he said cheerfully.

"Good morning." I said around a mouthful of eggs.

We ate in silence, but not an awkward silence. A silence that meant we were just enjoying each others presence. Pan emerged from his tent, and walked over to the group.

"Eat fast, boys. You got a long day of training ahead of you." Pan said grumpily. Someone's in a bad mood. All of the Lost boys groaned, except Felix. I was getting a strong feeling that Felix was Pan's favorite. When everyone had finished eating, I followed Sam to Pan's training area. Once we arrived, all the boys began picking up various weapons. Spears, knives, clubs, bows, swords and began practicing with them. Sam picked up a handful of throwing knives and began tossing them at a target. Every one hit the center. I chuckled.

"I see you haven't lost your touch." I said to Sam. He smiled at me. Then glanced around nervously.

"Pan will be here soon to check up on us. You should get started." Sam said. I nodded and approached the wide array of weapons. I was already an expert archer, and I was proficient in throwing knives and swordplay. So what should I use? As if he read my mind, Sam answered:

"You could use work on your spear throwing." I picked up a spear and stood next to Sam. I raised it and aimed. I chucked the spear at the target and it landed in the third circle from the center. I let out a frustrated sigh.

"Everyone put your weapons down! I will be teaching a lesson today!" Pan's voice shouted. I dropped the spear and walked over to where everyone was sitting in a semicircle. I sat down next to Sam, who was sitting near the back. As Pan gave a very simple lesson on hand to hand combat, I doodled in the dirt. I already knew what he was teaching us, so why give him my attention when I don't have to.

"Avalon, would you care to demonstrate?" Pan remarked. My head snapped up and saw that everyone was staring. Ugh, why does he have to pick on me? I got to my feet and walked over to Pan.

"Rules?" I asked. He smirked. He really thought he was going to win, huh?

"There is only one rule. Show no mercy." he said.

"No mercy." I repeated. I glanced at the nervous looking crowd. Felix was smiling. I snapped my attention back to Pan, who was in a fighting stance. I spread my feet apart and raised my fists.

Pan sprang forward, throwing a punch to my face. I blocked it easily. Punch,block. Punch, block. I decided to take control of the fight and kicked Pan in the stomach. He groaned and bent over. He recovered quickly, and kicked me in the back of the knee. In my moment of weakness, he wrapped his arm around my neck, choking me. He fumbled for the dagger at my waist. I slammed my heel into his foot with bone crunching force, and elbowed him in the ribs. His grip on my neck loosened and I kicked him hard in the leg, sending him to the ground. I swiftly grabbed my dagger and knelt by him. I yanked his head back by his hair and held the blade to the skin of his neck. I knew I had won when the Lost boys started applauding.
➳➴➵➶➷➸➹
Back at the camp, Pan was furious. He stomped around and wouldn't meet my eyes. Does he throw a tantrum every time he doesn't get what he wants?

My thoughts were interrupted when Sam sat next to me. We smiled at each other and fell into a conversation. After a few minutes, Pan suddenly appeared next to us.

"Come with me, Sam. I'd like to have a little chat." Pan said, emotionless. Sam nodded and stood up. Pan put one hand on his back and led him into the forest. I realized that my hand was subconsciously resting on the handle of my dagger. Before disappearing into the trees, Pan looked back at me. His eyes saw my hand and he smirked at my protectiveness. I sat there helplessly, and waited for them to return. After a few minutes, they stepped back into the camp. Pan looked the same, arrogant and slightly amused at everything. But Sam looked different. He wasn't his usual bubbly, cheerful self. He looked nervous and slightly intimidated. What had Pan said to him?

Sam sat next to me again. He wouldn't meet my eyes.

"What did he say?" I whispered. He just shook his head.

"Sam, tell me what he said." I ordered. He stared at me with red rimmed eyes.

"Please, don't worry about me, Ava. Everything is fine. Trust me." he said taking my hands in his. I felt something being pushed into it, paper? He stared at me, trying to send a an invisible message through his eyes. I nodded and shoved the parchment into my boot.