The Heart of The Truest Believer

~AVALON'S POV~

I was walking through the forest, close to the lake, when I heard it. WHOOSH! ZAP! I whipped my head around and scurried to hide behind a bush. Just on the edge of the lake, three people had appeared. One was a middle aged man with thinning brown hair and a look of displeasure plastered to his face. The next was a woman with olive skin and long black hair. The last person was a young boy with brown hair and a round face. There was something familiar about the boy . They were all wearing strange clothing. The young boy started to run away but the man grabbed him by the back of his coat and stopped him. I realized his hands were bound. Had they kidnapped him? The man said something to the boy and released him. I scooted closer so I could hear better.

"Where's the communicator? We need to signal the home office." The woman said to the man. He was digging around in a backpack. He handed the woman a black box and she fiddled with it.

"On office, huh? Who works there?" The boy said smugly.

"Who we work for is none of your concern, kid." The man said.

"Really? Can they tell you how to get home after you destroy magic?" The boy said. Destroy magic?

"We don't ask questions. We just believe in our cause." The man said.

"Greg, I'm not getting a status on this thing." The woman said. The man took the black box.

"Did you check the batteries?" He said, opening a compartment on the box. It was filled with sand. Greg and the woman stared at it with befuddled expressions.

"It's a good thing you guys don't ask questions." The boy said. I smiled at his sass. I was beginning to like this kid.

They had moved to the inside of the jungle and Greg was lighting a fire.

"We making s'mores?" The boy asked. I fought the urge to chuckle.

"No. I'm making a signal. We need to let the home office know we're here." Greg said. I was growing very curious as to what this "home office" was. There was a snap of a twig and everyone looked around. Felix and a crowd of Lost boys emerged from the foliage. I ducked down further into the bush so I wouldn't be seen.

"Who are you?" Greg asked.

"We're the home office. Welcome to Neverland." Felix said with a catlike grin.

"The home office is a bunch of teenagers?" The woman snapped.

"They're not teenagers. They're the Lost boys." The boy said. He knows about the Lost boys?

"Now the boy. Hand him over." Felix said. Why would Pan want this boy? Is he a new recruit? Greg and Felix said things I couldn't hear, then a shiver ran through my body. A shadow swooped down and attached itself to Greg. There was a sickening ripping sound and Greg dropped to the ground and didn't move again.

"Run!" The woman yelled. The boy took off running and I sprinted to follow him.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I had been running for a while. I had lost the boy. I was dangerously curious as to why Pan wanted him and why he had been brought to Neverland. After a while of wandering through the forest, I decided to just go back to the cave. As I was making my way back, I saw two green blobs in the sky. I looked closer and saw that they were people, and one of them was the boy. I sprinted in their direction.

I was hiding behind a large tree when they landed. It wasn't until they both stood up that I realized that the other person was Pan. I normally would've raced in the opposite direction as him, but I had to know who this boy was. Pan wasn't dressed in his normal green. He was dressed in dirty rags, like the other Lost boys.

"See. When you believe, anything is possible." The boy said with a smile. Then it clicked. The boys face was so familiar because it was the face that my father had drawn on that stupid piece of paper. This boy was the truest believer. The one Pan had been hunting. And he was going to kill him. Without thinking, I notched an arrow and jumped out of my hiding place.

"Don't listen to him!" I shouted, raising my bow and aiming at Pan. I didn't know why I had revealed myself to Pan, but my father had protected this boy's face for years. Which made me think I had to protect him too. Pan's eyes widened in shock. "Ava." He whispered. His eyes ran up and down my body.

"Whatever he's said to you, it's a lie. He's Peter Pan and he's going to kill you." I said the the boy. The boy gaped at me.

"You're Peter Pan?" He asked Pan. He smirked, officially ending his good boy act.

"Oh, Ava. You haven't changed a bit." He said. I glared at him.

"Neither have you, little boy." I snarled. I relaxed my fingers and the string of the bow rolled off them, releasing the arrow. Pan caught it, as I knew he would. I grabbed the boy's hand and sprinted into the jungle. We ran and ran until I finally thought it was a safe distance.

"Here. Put this on." I said slipping the ring off my finger and pressing it into the boys palm.

"It has cloaking properties. It will hide you from Pan." I explained. The boy put it on.

"What will happen to you?" He asked.

"I'll be fine. Pan won't hurt me, but he will hurt you. Now, run east for about a half a mile. Just outside the Pixie woods there's a large cave. Behind the ivy is a rope, pull on that rope until the mouth of the cave opens up. Then go inside. You'll be safe there." I said. He clutched at my hand.

"Will I see you again?" He asked, his voice shaking with fear. I covered his hand with mine.

"I hope so. Now, go!" I pushed him and he disappeared into the jungle. I didn't know why I had given him my cloaking ring, or why I was trying to protect him so hard. Maybe it was because my father had tried so relentlessly to protect him, or that he reminded me the slightest bit of Sam. I was about to sprint away, when a tingle passed through my body. Pan appeared right in front me. He snatched up both of my wrists.

"Forty years, Ava." He said. "I've waited to do this for forty years." He started to lean towards me. This has happened way too many times. I closed my eyes and head butted him. I ignored the ache.

"Not this time, little boy." I said. He chuckled, rubbing his forehead.

"You blew it, dear Ava. You are without your cloaking magic and in my hands yet again. And I won't let you slip away so easy next time." Pan snarled.

"You're forgetting one thing, Pan." I said smugly. "The boy got away. He has my ring, you can't feel him anymore." Pan smirked.

"I wouldn't be to sure about that." He snapped his fingers and the Lost boys came through the bushes, with the boy in tow. He looked at me with an apologetic expression. Pan laughed.

"I have everything I want, you see. And there is no escaping." He said darkly.

I know. This is a sucky chapter. It's short. And all throughout writing it I was screaming at myself CLICHE CLICHE CLICHE!!! Anyway, BY THE ANGEL 3K READS???!! THANK YOU GUYS SOOO MUCH!! This story kinda started out as an idea in my head and it grew and grew and demanded to be acknowledged so I wrote it but didn't publish it. Then I thought what the heck and did it. I honestly didn't think it would get this much feedback. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE YOU GUYS AND ALL THE SUPPORT YOU GIVE ME!!! You guys are the best!! 😃😝😘 I have another story and it's called Fate to Reign and I would really appreciate it if you guys would take a look at it and give me some feedback. REMEMBER KEEP VOTING AND COMMENTING BECAUSE MORE VOTES=FASTER UPDATES!!