Oh, The Irony

"That's your brilliant plan? To hide in your apartment like cowards?" I asked. Peter was laying out open books and scrolls across the table, his hands working fast.

"We don't have a choice, Ava. Until we find a way to break the curse, we're walking targets." Peter said, his eyes flashing from me to the papers on the desk. I got up from the bed and leaned over the table, my eyes scanning the scribbled lines.

"What have you found out so far?" I asked.

"Nothing." Peter replied. I shuffled through the stack of papers.

"Does it say how all the previous curses were broken?" I asked.

"It's the same every time, true loves kiss." He answered, and I could hear the frustration in his voice. He sighed, getting up from his chair. He shrugged on his jacket and picked up his keys.

"Where are you going?" I asked.

"To Emma's place to see if they found anything." He answered. I sat down at the desk and looked over the papers. Peter turned my head and planted a quick kiss on my cheek, his hand resting on my neck.

"If I'm not back in two hours, something bad has happened." He said, deathly serious. I looked at his hard expression and nodded deftly. He turned and walked out. I turned my attention back to the open books and scrolls sprawled across the tabletop. The Evil Queen's curse was broken by Emma when she kissed Henry. True love's kiss, as always. But she must've kissed her son before the curse was broken, what made it different? And why did it have to be Emma? Why not Mary Margaret and David? Well, she is the savior. Think, Ava, think. Why did it have to be Emma? I stared at the ceiling as my mind raced. Well, the Evil Queen didn't know that Emma was the savior when she cast the curse. She was something that she never expected. Never expected. I sat up abruptly in my chair. And she never expected someone else to kiss her son, let alone love him. She never expected her to believe in the curse at all. I jumped to my feet. I knew how to break the curse.
➳➴➵➶➷➸➹
I hurried down the rain slick sidewalk, my phone up to my ear. It rang and rang, then she finally picked up.

"Emma, hi. I was wondering if Peter is still at your place? He's not answering his phone." I said quickly. There was a pause across the line.

"Uh...what? Peter never came to my house." She said. My feet stopped moving, my face dropped.

"Ava?" Emma asked.

"Emma, something really bad has happened."
➳➴➵➶➷➸➹
"When was the last time you saw him?" Emma asked me. We were sitting in the uncomfortable chairs at the police station, waiting anxiously for David to get off the phone with the town line guards. I was folding and unfolding my hands nervously, my feet tapping rapidly on the floor.

"Around two hours ago, when he said he left to go to your place." I answered.

"Could he have gone somewhere else without telling you?" Emma said. I shook my head.

"Where would he go? And he told me that if he wasn't back in two hours, that something bad had happened." I said. David walked back over to us, his arms crossed.

"They guards said he hasn't left town." He informed us.

"Of course he hasn't." I muttered. Emma elbowed me.

"Thank you, Sheriff." Emma replied. He nodded, looking us over.

"I'll go call the mayor's office, see if they've seen him." He said, walking back into his office. I turned to Emma.

"They can't help us. We both know who took him." I said quietly. Emma looked conflicted.

"Well, what do you suggest we do?" She asked. I gave her a look that said "you aren't going to like this".
➳➴➵➶➷➸➹
"The underground caves?" Emma said incredulously. The elevator doors stood dauntingly in front of us. I pushed a button and pulled the lever. The doors creaked open. I dragged Emma in with me.