Leaving Neverland

The ocean waves whizzed by beneath us. The cool night air whipped my hair back and chilled my skin. I was too wrapped up in the sensations to scream. I became aware of the clouds only a feet above us, then the great distance between us and the ground. I was clinging to Pan's shirt like I was drowning. I felt his chest tremble with laughter. He enveloped me in his arms, and the warmth from his body seeped through my clothes. I buried my face in his chest, refusing to look at the unfathomable space of nothingness separating us from the earth. Without warning, the feeling of my stomach rising to my throat overwhelmed me as Pan dipped lower to the ground. We were in the air for a few more seconds, then he set me gently down on the soft dirt. His hands brushed my shoulders, and his eyes drank me in. I ran my hands along the ground, letting my heart rate dwindle back to normal. We were in the forest again, but the tress were taller and sleeker here. The Pixie Woods, I thought. We were by a tree that was slightly larger than the rest. Pan set the box down on a rock.

"Don't try anything funny. I'm more powerful now than I have ever been." Pan warned. I knew it was true, and I hugged my knees in surrender. I was so tired of running and resisting. Pan looked genuinely surprised at my cooperation, but then his face merged into a satisfied smile. He started to look around for something, but I interrupted him.

"I know you lied to me." I began. Pan turned to look me in the face.

"Which lie specifically, it's so difficult to keep track." Pan mused. I kept my eyes narrowed.

"The spring. It only keeps you in Neverland if you had a fatal injury when you drank the water." Pan's brows creased, realizing what I was saying.

"I can leave Neverland. And I will leave." I said firmly. He stomped over to me and bent down so our faces were level.

"We'll see about that." He said quietly, but his words still chilled my blood. His cool green eyes searched mine for a few seconds, looking for signs of fear. I set my jaw and looked up at him.

"Why are you trying to keep me on this island so badly?" I asked, unable to curb my curiosity. Pan exhaled in a short of laugh.

"Your parents never told you, did they?" Pan said.

"Told me what?" I snapped, sick of his games.

"About the prophecy." He hinted. He started to walk around as he talked.

"Your father had access to a Seer. As well as other valuable information. I needed information on the Heart of the Truest Believer and I knew your father could give it to me. That's one of the reasons why I took him. But before I did, I too was given a prophecy." I was listening intently, and Pan knew it. He paused, enjoying being in control.

"This prophecy spoke of a girl, the daughter of Elizabeth and Shaun Highmark. This girl, would stir something in my heart that I had never felt before. This girl, would make me whole again, and be the key to my salvation." Pan said, all seriousness.

"And you actually believe that this girl is me?" I asked, unconvinced.

"Magic doesn't fail." He said.

"No, but it does rip away what you love." I countered.

"You still can't let go what happened to your family, can you?" Pan said, raising his voice.

"Not "what happened", what you did." I hissed.

"I did you a favor!" Pan shouted. "You were going to stay in Neverland, I would make sure of it. I didn't want you to suffer the burden of knowing your family mourned you everyday. I thought you would've preferred that they not remember you."

"Oh, and all this was you just being considerate." I said sarcastically.

He turned away with a frustrated sound and walked briskly into the jungle, his broad shoulders swaying. I hugged myself tighter, feeling more alone than ever before.