Chapter Seventeen

This chapter is dedicated to my most loyal follower @devintaja

*Beep.. beep...beep...*

That same irritating sound caused me to stir a little.

"She's waking up!" I heard my mom announce as I stretched my body. Attempting to maneuver my body from this godawful and terribly uncomfortable position I try to sit up, but I'm immediately cut off by the IV in my hand.

"Ahhhh" I winced in pain.

"Oh baby try to keep still okay? How do you feel? Should we go ahead and ask for an epidural now?" My mom asked coming over to my side to look me over. Nothing she asked was registering  with me.

"Wha- epidural? Why? What's going on?" I ask frantically.

"It's okay princess, just try your best to keep calm. You went into pre-term labor. Your water broke at the baby shower. Don't you remember? You fainted." My daddy walked up to her side and took my hand.

"Right... The baby shower. Where is everyone? Skye? Oh I bet she freaked out; Rich won't know what to do with her... Wait, where's Rich? Is he mad at me?" I could feel the tears form in my eyes.

"I'm here sweets..." Rich called softly from the other side of the room. He stood near the door with his hands stuffed inside his sweats. We shared eye contact for a split second until he looked away at to the floor.

This can't be a good sign.

"We'll let you guys have a moment." Daddy said before kissing my forehead and grabbing mama'a hand to leave.

I watched them exit and listened for the door to completely shut. Hoping Rich would speak soon, I kept quiet. He still didn't say anything. He wouldn't even look at me. I was finally fixing my mouth for words when Dr. Asiago came walking in.

"Doc, what are you doing here?" My face was scrunched up in confusion.

"Richard called and explained what was going on. I would've taken my private plane but he had already sent the jet for me." She explained while washing her hands and putting on gloves.

"Oh," Again I looked to Rich. This time he was walking toward the bed. I felt a sense of peace immediately when his hand connected with mine.

"What exactly is going on?" I ask again shifting positions in the bed.

"You're in labor, which is one of the reasons why you can't seem to get comfortable." She chuckled. I kept quiet as she adjusted  the heart monitors for the babies around my stomach.

"But I'm only 7 and a half months pregnant." I reminded her as if she wasn't already aware.

There's no way I can have these babies now. They could be at risk for all sorts of health problems, as if they're not already.

"Correct Quanni, but you've experienced placental abruption, which caused your water to break. Because you're carrying twins, this is not uncommon; but these babies must be delivered soon before they lose too much oxygen." My heart sank hearing her say that my babies were in danger. How could I have been so stupid to let this happen? I couldn't bare to even think about possibly losing them. Just the mere thought made me lose my complete composure.

"Everything will be fine." She tried reassuring me.

"Nooo.." I whined as I allowed tears to flow rapidly down my face. My body shook uncontrollably as I gulped for air in between sniffles.

"Stephanie, I need you to try and calm down for me okay? I'm right here baby, it's okay." I heard Rich say calmly with his hand caressing my back. He eased into the bed with me and shifted me onto his body.