Chapter Ten

Jay pictured above.

I took advantage of Quanni and Skye being out to catch up on a little work from home. I really wanna spend as much time with her as I can to witness her pregnancy progress. I mean it's not like I didn't get to see Trice carry Skye, but this is different because I know for a fact that this child is mine. I read up on a few cases, then called my assistant Rhea.

"Yes?" She answered after the first ring.

"Hey, has Mrs. Johnson called in confirm her appointment yet?"

"Uh..."

"What do you mean uh...?"

"Mrs. Johnson was rushed to the emergency room at about 4 o'clock this morning and..."

"And!?" I shouted into the phone. I really needed her to stop beating round the bush.

"She's been givin a week..."

"Damn, what hospital?" I asked rubbing my forehead

"Rush"

"Alright thanks Rhea. I'm sorry for yelling"

"No problem, I understand. Take care"

See that's why she's the perfect assistant. She never breaks under pressure. Rhea has been a friend of mine since I was fifteen; she was by my side the whole time while I got over my mother's death. She's seen me at my worse, so I thought it only right for her to be by my side at my best. We never tried to be more than friends or even brought up the discussion. She's just my BestFriend.

I took a quick shower, then threw on some khakis, a dark purple dress shirt, and my brown loafers. Since I let Quanni drive my Camaro today, I just drove my Range Rover to the hospital. I didn't rush to get there because I wanted to be in the right head space when I went in. To be honest the thought of losing Mrs. Johnson tore me apart; she's clearly more than just a client to me. She's family. I always look to her for encouragement and wisdom. When I introduced her to my daughter they became inseparable, and now she was getting ready to leave us. I had so much to tell her about my life with Quanni, and now I may not even have time. Sure she's my client, but she's been more help to me than she'll ever know.

It wasn't until I pulled up in front of the hospital and looked in the mirror, that I realized I had tears in my eyes. I took a deep breath, got out and walked in. I stopped at the front desk to find out what room she was in, and they told me the 6th floor. I stepped off the elevator and there was a name tag right there identifying her room- Rose Johnson.

I paused one last second before going in, to get myself together. I wanted to be as strong as possible just in case she wasn't able to anymore.

"Knock knock," I said as I pushed the door open. I looked over at the bed and there she was. She was not a big person anyway, but in a matter of weeks her weight and stature had decreased. She didn't look terrible but she definitely looked sick.

"Well would you look'a here," her face brightened up when our eyes made contact.

"Come on in and give me some love boy"

"Mama Johnson, I heard you were trying to leave me. Now that's no way to break things off is it?" I said making light of the situation

" Ohhh, I know baby. But when God is ready... There ain't no questions asked; and I think it's time we finally met" she said smiling as we let go from the hug.

Every bit of what she was saying is true but it's breaking my heart.

"Yea, I guess you're right" I said looking off at all the flowers that she'd received.