Chapter Five

Quanni's parents pictured above

"Can you turn the radio up?" I shouted from the back of our Mercedes family van. We were traveling to Dallas, Texas to celebrate with my dad's side of the family, and honor my grandma Steph for her birthday.

He increased the volume a little bit without saying a word or taking his eyes off of the road. He and I haven't been on good terms really since our disagreement a month ago. Whenever Rich is around he's distant, and to be honest I'm over it. I don't necessarily want his approval, but respect and support would be nice.

I started jumping and moving to Tye Tribbet's 'He Turned It'. I'll be the first to say that no matter what my flaws, or how hard I try to escape the fact, I'm just a true church girl.

"You just won't be satisfied until you snap your neck huh peanut?" My older brother Stephon turned laughed looking back at me with his youngest son Tre on his shoulders. He, his wife Anise and three children flew in from Detroit. He took off the whole week from his construction business to be with the family.

"Ah, hush up and give me my baby" after three tries he finally got himself a son, and he was just as handsome as he could be.

"Right, cause my kids better be the only ones you thinkin about for now little girl." He said giving me the eye.

I just shook my head and continued playing with my nephew

"So tell that lil friend you got, I mean business."

He says that every time he sees me whether or not I'm talking to someone anyway so it didn't really bother me. I was however curious to know what his thoughts were about me dating someone just a few years younger that him.

Stephon was already 12 years old by the time I came along so he was always like a second father to me. He's one of the reasons I'm so spoiled today.... He could never say no to me, even to this day. But that also meant he was extremely over protective. He gave a hard time to any guy that showed interest in me. He nearly killed Tyson when he found out he cheated on me, so I'm just a little apprehensive about him finding out about Rich.

"Tee tee, I wanna play a game on your iPad"

"Me too" my nieces Staci and Starla said from beside me.

"Okay, here Staci," I said to the oldest who was five.

"Ask me first before you switch to something else." I instructed her

"I wanna play dress up" Starla yelled. She was 3 years old going on 30.

I let them debate amongst each other about what to play first while I rocked Tre to sleep, slipping into my own thoughts. I was just about to close my eyes when my phone vibrated. I had two texts

Rich 😍🙈💋

Hi sweets, I was thinking of you. Enjoy your family this weekend. I love you 😘

Me

Awwww 🙈 thanks Richie, I love you too. I miss you 😩

I smiled at the thought of him while I opened the text from my mom. What she had to say that she couldn't say out loud I have no clue.

Mommy 👑😘💗

Honey, are you sure you didn't want to invite Richard. This would've been perfect.

At first my mom didn't even consider the thought of him and I together, but she's come around these past two and a half months. I can finally open up to her about how I feel. She says if I'm happy, then so is she. She just told me to remember who I am. Whatever that means.