Chapter Nineteen

Richard Jr. & Rima in the Photo above.

"Now, where should we start?" Dr. Jackson looked back and forth between us.

Rich and I agreed that before we got married, we would go to counseling a few months before. Due to recent events however, we ended up here earlier than expected. For Rich to discuss his feelings about me to someone else other than me, that was already a slap in the face. But accusing me of messing around with Jay was enough to make me want to leave. I would never cheat on Rich, ever. Especially not with his best friend; I'm not that girl. I don't even talk to Jay unless Rich is around, and I'm not a fan of him right now anyway.

Realizing that neither one of us would talk first, she took matters into her own hands. Standing up, she went over to her bookshelf and picked up two composition notebooks.

"How about we begin with an icebreaker activity ? I want you to take a few minutes and write down what you love about your relationship now, and three areas in your relationship that could be improved." She instructed us, giving us both a notebook and pen.

She set a timer and told us to begin. It didn't take long for me to write down my thoughts. I think about our relationship 24/7; he's always on my mind good or bad. I can't imagine losing Rich now after everything we've been through. That would literally crush me.

I sat patiently waiting until the timer went off.

"How about ladies first? Quanni, let's hear what you wrote. What do you love about your relationship with Rich now?" She asked, prepared to listen attentively.

"Well... I-"

"It's okay to speak directly to Richard. I'm just here to coach you, but it's important to let each other know directly how you feel. So, face Rich and tell him what's on your mind. She smiled and waited again for me to start.

I took a deep breath and slowly turned to face Rich. He was looking at me expectantly, waiting for me to speak.

"I love waking up everyday knowing that I'm with someone who truly loves me for me. You've seen me at my best and some of my worst, yet you still love me the same. I love the way you protect me no matter what; you always have. Since the very first moment we spent together, I've always felt safe around you. Like you could conquer the world if you want to. Don't get me wrong, you ain't God." I say causing him to grin and chuckle a little.

"But God definitely made you my Super Man." I spoke those word softly while shaking my head at the same time in agreement to myself.

Rich never said anything, he just looked deep into my eyes. That look that makes squirm in his presence; I felt like he was looking into my soul.

"Well said." She smiled before tapping away at her laptop.

"Now what are areas that you'd like to improve?"

I took a breath again and looked down at the words written on the paper. Whether he was ready to hear this or not it was about to be said.

"We need to work on communication, time, and honesty." I say never looking his way.

He scoffed and mumbled something under his breath. Instantly my blood began to boil. I don't know why he's treating me like this, and the only reason I've acted salty towards him is because he won't tell me what's really on his mind.

"Is there something you want to say Richard?" She gave him a look.

"For you to want all that, you sure have done the opposite." I looked up to see him clenching his jaw staring straight at the wall.