Chapter Twenty-Seven

"Skye, be careful baby. Don't go too far." I watched nervously as she hopped, skipped and jumped around on the playground. She was currently on the big kids' monkey bars, swinging and climbing further and further away from my immediate sight. I held my breath each time she made an awkward move; Lord knows I'm a safety freak.

"Look mommy, I did it!" A joyful Skye called out to me. She was balancing at the top of the monkey bars and did a flip. I could've pissed my pants watching her do this stuff. I know she's trained to do this in gymnastics but I just cannot.

"Great baby. Enough of the jungle gym for  now okay? You're freakin' mommy out."

"Can I flip please?" Her little eyes glossed over as she pleaded with me. How could I resist such a cute face?

"Fine. But only the ropes Skye, I mean it."

Jesus be a Tylenol. I mumbled aloud to myself as I lifting the cover to the twins' stroller. The last thing I wanted was to have them out here in the Fall with all these different germs at the park. However, Skye is my baby too, and if she wanted to come to the public park and wear herself out playing instead of her own backyard then so be it. I put hats on the twins' heads along with their sweat suits and wrapped them in their blankets.

It's not extremely cold out yet, but I can't risk my babies getting sick; we had a hard enough time with Skye getting the Flu.

"Is daddy still coming?"

"Yes. He said he was on his way the last time I talked to him." I answered her question, causing her to grin from ear to ear.

He's always late for something. I mumbled to myself, looking down at the time. It was an hour ago when I texted him and I know he got off early today. He should've been here.

"Keep talking." I heard his voice from behind me. Instantly I perked up and a smile crept across my face.

"Rich, thank God you're here." I sighed in relief as he sat down beside me and opened the cover of the twins' stroller.

"Mmm." Playfully he rolled his eyes and leaned over for a kiss. I happily leaned in and pecked his lips a few times before Skye realized he was there and came running to him.

"Daddy!" She jumped down from the ropes and ran and jumped into his arms.

He played with her for another hour before the twins started to get restless and I decided it was time to go. On the way home, I stopped by the grocery store to restock and find something to cook for tonight. Thankfully Skye isn't a picky child and will eat just about anything I cook; aside from seafood.

I decided I'd cook Stuffed Flank Steak with Roasted Potatoes and Carrots. While prepping my Spinach, Bleu Cheese, and peppers, I assisted Skye with her homework.

"You have 5 apples. You give 1 to your friend Cory, and you eat 2. Then, you and buy 5 more apples.How many apples do you have?"

I was reading off the questions to Skye but she wasn't paying a bit of attention to me. She does this thing where if she understands it then she's done, she has absolutely no interest in going back over it. I was the same way in school, like what's next?

"Skye?"

"Ma'am?" She looked up from her notebook that she was doodling on and stared at me.

"Answer the question."

"5."

I looked at her for a second without saying anything so that I could keep my composure. One part of me wanted to me to burst out laughing at her guess, while the parenting side wanted to fuss at her for her lack of interest.