Chapter Two

Rich pictured above. 🔼
"Quanni?" He mumbled into the crook of my neck.

I didn't answer. I wouldn't even look his way. There was no way I was gonna let him see that I was falling for him. FALLING HARD. At first it was just a few innocent texts and phone calls, but then it turned into dates every week. I didn't want him to, but he was changing my whole view of him.

"Quannique."He said my whole name. He must be hella bold.

"My mama don't even call me that" I said, finally catching his gaze. Man, he had the most beautiful hazel eyes.

"Good thing I'm not ya mama then," he shot back.

"I see you," he said.

"Word? Tell me what you see." I glared at him waiting for a response. I was ready for him to make up some sappy bullshit so I could call this whole thing quits.

"I see you pushing me away," my heart skipped a beat when I heard the words fall from his mouth.

"W-what" I asked, a bit shocked that he was paying that much attention to any of my actions. When I feel us getting closer I distance myself, ignore phone calls, even cancel plans. I just don't wanna put my heart on the line for no reason.

"C'mon sweets, I'm 26 years old. If I was just another guy tryin to get in your panties I would've done it already and been gone" he shrugged his shoulders, looking out at the lake.

"I'm not doing this for the goods Quanni, I'm doing it for your heart," he said.

He was right. He could've hit it and quit it weeks ago. He could've acknowledged the fact that I was stubborn and sometimes had a horrible attitude weeks ago. He could've decided that my insecurities from my last relationship was too much, and lefts weeks ago- but he didn't.

"Rich, you could have any girl out here that you want. Why me?" I questioned.

"I mean, you're eight years older than me. I'm just a baby compared to you. You've established yourself in the world. You're partner at one of the biggest law firms in Illinois, AND you own your own barbershop. I'm just getting started. I'm only in my second year of an undergraduates degree. Are you really willing to wait for me to grow up? Could you really get used to wondering if it's okay with my parents if I spend the weekend with you? Or cutting dates short so I can go home and study for mid terms? I mean do you r-"

"Quannique, you're worth it." He simply said interrupting my rant.

"I'd do it all for you" he pulled me onto his lap and wrapped his arms around my waist.

"I love you" he whispered into my ear. My eyes widened and my mouth flew open. Did he really just say that?

He placed his hand under my chin and pulled my face into his.

"Let me love you" he said before he brought his warm plump brown lips into mine. He kissed me with a passion that sent chills all the way down to my toes.

In that moment I knew... I was falling in love... With Richard Reynolds.

"Mr. Reynolds, your 10:00 is here." My assistant said through the intercom of my office. For nearly half an hour I was just sitting there thinking about Her- Stephanie Quannique Cartwright. Why she goes by her middle name, I'll never know.

I laid eyes on her a long time ago in a church that I was visiting with my cousin. I wasn't really paying that much attention to what was going on, but next thing I know, this drop dead gorgeous girl stepped up to microphone to sing a solo for her father. She tore the song up too. I mean I'm not as faithful to church or a relationship with God as I should be, but even I was in tears. I watched her beautiful curvy hips sway as she walked back to her seat. Who knew a simple black skirt and white button down shirt could look so good? To make matters worse, she had on a pair of pumps that looked to be about 5 or 6 inches- I love a woman in heels, and could walk in them too? I knew I was gonna have to make her mine.