Chapter 29

"Nope that's it I'm not going." I said as I walked away from the mirror and flopped on the bed.

"Maddie! We've been getting ready for almost two hours and you're going to back out now?!" Megan scolded as she threw her arms up in the air.

"Megan! He could be there again! I don't need another encounter!"

"That was almost a month ago. He wouldn't stick around this long. Plus you have to get an invitation to come to this party, and chances are he was just visiting last time you saw him." Megan said calming my nerves a bit. I tapped my foot anxiously as I stood up and walked back in front of the mirror.

"I don't know why I chose this dress, it's too fancy-"

"Shh! You look gorgeous! Now be quiet and finish getting ready before I smack you!" Megan said as she put on her earrings and necklace. I quickly slipped on my nude heels and grabbed my gold clutch before meeting Megan at the door.

"Have fun ok? I'll be there if you need anything." Megan said as she smoothed down her gorgeous black dress.

"Wow you girls look amazing!" Craig exclaimed as he pulled Megan in for a kiss.

"So cute!" I squealed as Megan stuck her tongue out at me. "Where's Eric?" She asked Craig while we both looked around.

"His father called and said he needed him there immediately. Don't worry he left the limo here so we can still ride in it together!" Craig said as I nodded my head a little disappointed. We walked out to the limo and hopped in before speeding off down the road.

"Wow this limo is better than the one we had at our wedding." Megan said as she looked around. The ceiling was covered in colored flashing lights that blinked on and off every couple of seconds. Before we knew it we arrived and entered the country club through the large doors. You could hear the music from the hallway and sense the excitement.

"Oh no. They're saying names when you go in." I gasped as I saw the man at the top of the stairs announcing everyone's name as they walked in.

"You can walk in with us if you want Maddie-"

"No, I'll just walk behind you guys. It doesn't bother me." I said as they walked up and told the man their names.

"Craig and Megan Johnson." He said aloud as they walked down the beautifully lined steps into the ballroom. Right as I was about to tell him my name someone slipped their arm into mine.

"Sorry I'm late." Eric said cheekily beside me making me shake my head. "You look stunning." He said as I blushed. "Eric and Maddie please." He said to the man as he turned back to me.

"Eric and Maddie." The man repeated as we started our walk down the stairs.

"I thought I was going to have to walk down these alone." I said as Eric chuckled.

"Perfect timing ey?" He said as he kissed my cheek at the bottom of the stairs.

"How about a drink?" He asked.

"I think I'll just have one. I already feel a little wobbly in these heels." I said as he walked towards the bar. Right after he ordered both of our drinks his phone in his pocket buzzed.

"Dad wants me upstairs again. You'd think he'd let me have a nice time once in awhile." He said as he rolled his eyes and grabbed his drink.

"I'll see you later. Don't work too hard." I winked because that's what he always says to me. He kissed my cheek before walking back up the stairs and out of sight.

"Left alone once again." I sighed as I walked towards a wall and leant up against it to take some of the ache off my feet. I thought about going up to the VIP section but I knew I'd have to sit with some of Eric's friends which is not that enjoyable.