Chapter 41

Last night when we got in we hailed a taxi cab and stopped at the grocery store on the way home. We then ate dinner and walked immediately to our bedrooms before collapsing into the soundest sleep each of us had had in a long time. At about 8 am I awoke suddenly aware of my returning work and sleep schedule. I quickly got dressed in some clothes I found at the bottom of my suitcase before grabbing my purse and leaving a quick note to let my mom know where I was. I stopped at a small cafe in town quickly to grab a coffee and a muffin before continuing to the office.

"Megan! I'm back!" I yelled as I entered the office causing an immediate loud crash from the back room.

"Maddie! I missed you!" Megan screamed as she came out running and bulldozed me into a hug.

"I brought coffee and muffins!" I said as she groaned in pleasure and took them out of my hands.

"You're a lifesaver!" She said as she took a large bite out of the muffin as we walked to our desks. "How was your trip?!" She asked as I sat down and took a drink of my coffee.

"Relaxing. Went for nice morning jogs, went shopping, caught up on our past, spent time with my family, really enjoyable. How was it here? Was I gone too long?" I asked nervously as Megan rolled her eyes at me.

"It was fine Maddie. No busier than usual. I had it under control and I went through all your paperwork!" She said making my eyes go wide as I looked through my paperless drawers.

"How did you have time?!" I asked in astonishment.

"When I get work cut out for me I do it until it's completely done. Your paperwork took me maybe two days." She said shrugging her shoulders as if it was no big deal. "I could run this place by myself I had to." She said making me nervously chuckle.

"About that..." I started as I gulped, "Uh-this isn't official yet but.." I trailed off as Megan looked at me confused. "Harry bought us a house in Florida for my mother, grandma, and I to live in to help me cope with my rough years and my mother with her depression." I said trying to refer to the years as little as possible as Megan didn't know much about them.

"Oh! So like a summer house that's free?! That's great!" She said making me nervously smile.

"He wants us to move in now." I said making her mouth drop. "But I told him I couldn't until I talked to you because-"

"A FREE HOUSE?! AND YOU'RE GOING TO PASS THAT UP?" She yelled as my eyes widened.

"I didn't want to leave this entire business on you and-"

"Maddie, don't take this personally but you have such a fun-filled life this is ruining it for you. All you ever do is talk about work and you need to go live the life you want to live. I can sure as hell tell this is not it." She said practically taking the words out of my mouth.

"But I...ugh you're right." I said groaning as she high-fived herself in amusement. "I love dentistry don't get me wrong and I hate to leave all this behind-"

"Maddie if it really bugs you, I can give you stuff to do on the computer down there. Like run through our inspections or transfer our paperwork, even set up new deals with companies. I can tell you don't want to leave it all behind." She said making me nod as I took a bite of my muffin. After a few moments of comfortable silence she spoke up again. "Have you broken up with Eric yet?" She asked making me shake my head.

"I'm going over there right after this." I said making her take in a deep breath.

"Word of advice: if he tries to take you back don't let him. You're too good for him anyways. You always were." She said making me chuckle.

"That's pretty much what everyone has been saying. I want to get it over with though so I think I'll leave now." I said as I stood up.

"Call me later and tell me how things went ok?" She asked as I nodded my head.

"You're sure you're ok with me leaving...again?" I said as she nodded her head.

"I'll adjust. It may take some time but I think I'll make it. When are you coming to pack up your desk?"

"I have no idea, most likely sometime this week." I said as she ushered me towards the door.

"Go break his little scrawny heart!" She said as she gave me a hugged and I walked out the door. I climbed into my car and quickly sped off in the direction of my old house. After about 15 minutes I finally made it to the house. I walked up quickly, knocking on the door. After a few moments pounding footsteps came down the stairs as it was unlocked.

"Maddie?! You're back!" Eric said as he wrapped me in for a hug.

"Uh yeah..." I said as he directed me inside. "What's up with you? You're practically out of breath."

"I was asleep and when I heard you knock I ran down the stairs as fast as I could." He chuckled as he pushed some of his hair out of his face, "Where's your stuff?" He asked as he looked around for my suitcase.

"It's at my mom's. I stayed over there last night when we got in." I said as he nodded his head still trying to catch his breath.

"Oh ok. I wish you would've called me when you got in I could've cleaned the house and picked you up last night so we could go have dinner and-"

"Eric. I'm just going to stop you right there." I interrupted making him look at me confused. "I've never had to break up with someone before and..." I trailed off shaking my head. "You're such an asshole." I said bluntly as he twisted his face in confusion. "I know you've been cheating on me for at least the past month. It wasn't obvious at the time but when someone pointed the regular patterns of yours out to me I knew right away."

"Cheating? You're accusing me of cheating?!" He gasped.

"I saw you kissing a blonde chick in the VIP booth the night of your father's formal party. I saw it with my own eyes. We're done Eric. We're so done. I know I didn't give you what you wanted when I said I didn't want sex until marriage and if that was going to be a big problem for you you should've just told me right then and there, not make me find out for myself."

"Babe I would never-" He started as a loud thud sounded from upstairs confirming my thoughts that there was someone up there with him.

"Oh and why don't you go back up there with your house guest. I'm sure she wants your attention more than me. The property movers will be here tomorrow to move my stuff out." I said as I flicked him off and slammed the front door as I walked down the front steps and into the car trying to collect my thoughts. As I drove back to my mom's house all I could think about was Harry and what exactly his intentions are.