Chapter 57

"So what was Harry up to again?" My grandma asked as we sat in the kitchen sipping on some tea before dinner.

"His sister just came to visit so I left them alone to catch up." I answered making her nod her head and go back to her newspaper crossword. "Where's mom?"

"Upstairs in bed. Another bad week coming up soon, she's been laying there for almost four hours now." My grandma said as Bill, the doctor Harry sent over for my mother, came down the stairs.

"Evening ladies, I'm increasing your mother's medicines a bit to see if it can get her out of these extreme lows she's been experiencing. Hopefully she won't be laying around as much once they build up in her body." He explained cheerfully making us nod our heads as he retreated back to his living quarters.

"Did his sister say how she felt about his criminal record?" My grandma asked changing the subject, and making me nod my head slightly.

"She said that their family has been shamed and that she was mad at him for never contacting them or telling them that their grandfather had died. That's all I know, I didn't stay for long because I didn't want to intrude." I replied as my grandma took another sip of her tea.

"You know if your mother knew about any of this or who he really was she'd have him in jail right now, for good. And if I had a brain I'd put him there too but nobody will listen to a naggy old lady." She said making me choke on my tea and set it down on the table.

"You-you'd call the police? After all he's done down here to help-"

"Maddie I get that he's changed now but I can't forget what he did to you-" My grandma argued making me stare at her with wide eyes.

"He let me go. He finally got enough sense and let me go grandma, I can't believe you'd-"

"But he took you away from us. He didn't have that right Maddie, he didn't think about your family-"

"Well he's practically family now. We're dating." I said as I stood up and my grandma looked at me with wide eyes.

"You're what-" The doorbell ringing cut her off as our heads snapped to the front door. I walked over quickly, unlocking the door to come face to face with Harry and Gemma.

"Oh, hi-"

"Hi Maddie!" Gemma chirped as my grandma stood up and walked up beside me.

"Hi Gemma! Uh this is my grandma Shelley, grandma this is Harry's sister Gemma." I introduced them casually as if we hadn't just been fighting about them minutes before.

"Pleasure to meet you Gemma."

"Nice to meet you too." Gemma smiled as Harry stood there beside Gemma with his hands behind his back. "Uh Harry just wanted to show me where you lived but I insisted we invite you over to dinner, your grandma and mum are welcome to join."

"Oh thanks for the invite but I best stay back." My grandma intervened making me look over at her in confusion, "Her mother hasn't been doing so well today so they're upping her medication and I think it'd be better if I stayed here and talked to her for awhile."

"Oh my is she sick? I hope she gets better!" Gemma gasped signaling Harry hadn't got to the part yet about him killing my father.

"No Gemma-" Harry intervened as I held my hand up to him.

"She has a very severe case of depression, it's been going on for almost three years now. Doctors haven't found a way to stable her out yet but we still have hope she will finally get better." I explained as Gemma's face dropped even further.

"Oh my I'm so sorry-" She apologized as she brought her hands up to cover her mouth.

"No need to apologize Gemma you're completely fine."

"Well you three have fun at dinner, I'm going to go check up on your mother, nice meeting you Gemma!" My grandma called as she shoved me out the door and she walked upstairs to see how my mother was doing.

"I am genuinely so sorry Maddie I should've-"

"Gemma you're fine, you didn't know. You have nothing to apologize for." I said as we walked along the driveway back over to Harry's house.

"Do you know why she got her depression? Was it through like genetics or a family passing?" She asked making my breath hitch as I didn't know exactly how to respond.

"Uh yes it was because of my father's passing." I smiled solemnly as she wrapped her arms around my body as we continued walking.

"I am so sorry Maddie!" She cooed as we continued walking down the sidewalk, Harry's house now in view. "How did your father pass?" She asked a few moments later, making me squint my eyes shut as she pulled away. Then it was Harry's turn to drape an arm across my shoulder and pull me into his side. "Oh I'm sorry forget I asked-"

"Gemma we'll talk about it when we get to the house." Harry cut her off as he rubbed my side comfortingly.

"No you don't need to-"

"No, I need Madeline here in order to tell you all the rest of what I said I'd finish."

"Harry?! How?! Why?! How could you do that?! Mom raised you so well!" Gemma cried from across the couch.

"See Gemma I told you-" Harry started as Gemma went into another scolding rant.

"You have ruined this poor girl's life Harold. How in the hell did you think you could do such a thing to her?!" Harry had just finished telling Gemma how my father died and she was absolutely horrified by everything coming out of his mouth. I just sat there with my mouth shut looking down at the floor with Harry right beside me.

"I was drunk-"

"That's no excuse Harold and you know that." Gemma seethed as she pointed a finger at him.

"I know I'm not trying to make an excuse! The only reason I can think that I targeted him was because of the shit role model of a father we had while growing up! I'm exactly like him when I'm drunk! I can't control anything!" Harry confessed dramatically.

"Well then you better figure out how. I'm going to go to sleep, I can't take in any more information tonight. I'm sorry I made you listen to this Maddie." Gemma apologized as she stood up from her spot on the couch and walked out of the room to go up to her bedroom.

"Madeline I am so-"

"Stop it. Don't you dare apologize." I glared at him with force, "I've already accepted your apology, she just needs time to accept yours too." I said as I stood up. "I need to get back home-"

"No! Please!" Harry begged as he pulled me by my arm towards him and wrapped his arms around my waist. He buried his face into my stomach since I was still standing up. "Please don't leave Madeline! I'm not going to be able to sleep." He said as I began running my fingers aimlessly through his hair.

"Alright I'll stay until-"

"No please just stay the night, last night was the best night sleep I had in years and I'm not going to be able to go to sleep after that argument or knowing I sent you home after having to hear it all again. Please I'll call your grandma and-"

"It's fine Harry, I'll stay. She doesn't need to know where I am all the time-"

"But you said she gets worried-"

"Yeah well one night without me will do, we got into a little argument earlier so staying here won't hurt." I smirked as he leant up and kissed me on the lips as his hands trailed all the way up my body until they found my cheeks. He cupped my face as I pulled back looking down at him with loving eyes. "You're doing the right thing Harry, with your sister and all. She'll understand soon."

"I fucking hope so. You're my saving grace Madeline."

A/N:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAROLD I'M GLAD YOU'RE FEELING 22!