The New School

I woke up early the next day and got dressed for school. I had on a pink dress with some black high tops and went into my moms bathroom. She made me wear tiny diamond earrings and sprayed perfume on me after she straightened my hair. Caiah had his clothes ironed and finished getting dressed. We gave our mother a kiss and left with our father. He stopped by the donut shop and let us eat there for a while.
"Don't get dirty" he said covering us with napkins. We threw everything away and he drove us to our school. He walked us inside and we sat in the office for a couple of minutes after he left. The principle came out her office and smiled at us both.
"Okay, come with me" she said leading the way. She took Caiah to his class first and then took me to my class. Kat was actually in there.
"You have a new student " my principle said to my teacher.
"Oh, nice to meet you. I'm Ms. Clarksun. What's your name?"
"Onika" I answered and shook her hand.
"Onika, you can sit next to me" Kat said with no hesitation.
"Kat told me you might be in my class, I said she can go ahead and sit next to you" she said with a smile. I smiled and sat next to her. While the principle and her talked I got time enough to get to know the other kids around me. I met some girls named Thembi, Sherikah, and Keisha. I know two guys named Lloyd and Rahmeek. After my teacher and the principal finished talking she started to teach us about division. During lunch Kat was telling me about how I could be in after school programs like her and Drake.
"I'm in cheer and dance. There is also gymnastics, tumbling, step and sports for girls" she said as we went outside for recess.
"Sounds fun" I said. So far everything seemed okay at this school. I haven't met any mean girls or anyone that made me not like them. I had a few more classes that day. Ms. Clarksun gave me papers to give to my parents.

"Onika and Caiah you're coming over to our house until your mom comes to pick you up" Aubrey said. Kat came and walked up to us as she was zipping up her backpack.

"Aubrey mama said you can't go to football practice because you got in trouble in the cafeteria with Kenni" she said. I thought back to lunch and I remember him and some other guys being loud.

"Yes!" He exclaimed happily.

"You didn't wanna go?" She asked her brother.

"No, that would of meant that I'd have to work extra hard today. Last week Wayne wasn't playing the plays right and got us all extra laps and over time into practice." He explained as we were leaving out the building.

"Wish I was in football" Caiah said.

"Why aren't you?" Drake asked.

"I can't until next year. I'm younger by a year" he said. Drake just nodded.

"Hey! I've told you about slamming my car doors!" Mrs. Graham yelled.

"Kat has it bad doing that" Drake said.
"Nuh uh!" She disagreed.
"Sounds like you are all bad" I said.

"I'm not bad" he said getting defensive.

"Whatever" I said. On the way to their house Kat and Drake were talking about their day.

"Onika and Caiah you can have anything in the kitchen. Just ask one of the kids for help if you need"

"Okay" we both said. We were all sitting at the table together and talking.

"Ms. Clarksun says there is a field trip coming up" Kat said. "All of 3rd grade is going" she added.

"Cool, I like field trips. At my old school we had a field trip then went to the beach" I said.

"Where are you guys from again?" Drake asked.

"Trinidad" Caiah answered. "It's like a small island by Barbados".

"That's cool. I was originally born in Jamaica" Kat said.

"What about you?" Caiah asked Drake.

"I was born in Canada" he answered.

"That's cool" I said. I felt Drakes foot hit mine under the table. I laughed and kicked him back. Caiah and Kat looked at me funny and Drake laughed at me.

"Hey, your mom is home" Mrs. Graham said walking in the room. Caiah and I got our backpacks and got up to leave.

"See you at school tomorrow!" Kat said as we left. We ran next door to our house and went straight inside. Our mom was in her room laying down.

"Hey babies, how was your day? She asked.

"Good!" We yelled. We sat on the bed with her and gave her the papers our teachers told us to take home. She was reading and signing papers while we talked about our days.

--------------

"Alright, time for bed" she said. We put our back packs back together then went to bed.