The little things

Being in the 6th grade is definitely a new step up. We are into the middle of the year and we are about to have a dance coming up. I'm so traditional that I want a guy to ask me and not just any guy. A specific guy. I was sitting with Kat and talking about what we were gonna wear and how we were gonna look.

"Nicki I want Jacob to ask me" she whines.

"Y'all are cute together. Plus I think he likes you" I say laughing at her big smile at my comment.

"Who do you wanna go with?" She asks.

"You don't know?"  She shook her head in denial. "Let's keep it that way then" I say laughing. She whines.

"Okay, is it Drake?" She asks. "Cause y'all act like you two would go together" she says.

"Me and your brother have been friends. We are the best of friends. I wouldn't go with him, although it may be nice" I say. She just gives me a look.

"Don't you think that would be kinda weird Nic. I mean y'all are sorta like Besties" she says. I guess I didn't see it that way. Jacob then walks over.

"Hey Kat, I need a date to the dance and was wondering if you wanted to go with me?"

"Yeah" she says excitedly. He smiles.

"Guess I'll see you back here" he says and walks away. Kat squeals and was happy the whole rest of the day. Going to our next class I sit in my seat and see Drake walk in.

"Nic you have a date?" He asks.

"What?" I ask. He looks surprised himself.

"I mean has anyone asked you" he says.

"No, why?? Has anyone asked you??"

"No. You wanna go with me? I don't wanna go with anyone else and it'll be easier if we go together ya know" he says.

"Uh yeah" I say. For class we were watching how to dissect a pig but I wasn't focusing on it. I was too busy wondering how I could be cute for Drake.

Going home me and Kat left off the bus with Drake and Caiah following behind.

"Caiah who did you ask?" Drake asked him.

"Oh I asked Melanie" he says, "I think she's cute" he says.

"Nice" Drake says giving him praise.

"See you later" Kat says running towards her house.

"Mom we're home!" I yell. I didn't hear anything.

"She's at the store" Caiah says coming out the kitchen with a bag of chips and a note that said she went to the store.

"That's just great" I say.

"Who asked you Nic?"

"Drake"

"Drake? You and Drake like each other?"

"If we did?" I ask.

"Isn't that weird? Y'all like best friends"

"No, we're not going as a couple. We just think it'll be easier if we go together" I say.

"Sure"

"You just focus on how you're going to look cute for Melanie" I say going up to the bathroom. I pulled out the stuff I needed to straighten my hair and go to lay out my dress and shoes. When my mom came back she helped me straighten my hair and told our dad to help Caiah with his tie.

"Onika wrap your hair so the oil can set in it for a few minutes. After that you can put your dress on" she says walking out. After I put on my dress I take my hair down and brush it. I walk out the bathroom and ask her for my earrings and put them on. Caiah and daddy walk into the room.