Chapter 23: Come On Dion.

"Are you ready?" The tailor adjusted his suit before he got a chance to answer. 

"More like exhausted; I been waiting forever for this position." Dion responded making me roll my eyes. I punched his arm because he was beginning to sound too cocky and he just laughed it off.

Before Dion and I was born, twenty-two years ago, the Elders visited my home. The Elders are three men placed on this earth by the Moon Goddess herself. They are wise, helpful, immortal and most importantly; they spoke to the Moon Goddess directly. The Elders told my family that the first born of  the second generation Rogers' family was to be crowned the Alpha King on his twenty second birthday.

My mother was surprised when she gave birth to twins but because Dion was born first, he was taken away from our family to the castle to train to become the Alpha King. We were only allowed to visit him on special occasions such as our birthday. 

Now, the day after our 22nd birthday, Dion was ready to be crowned King in front of his whole castle. The Alpha King before him was taken away with his family to a private island for safety. One advantage of Dion becoming King was my family and I were finally allowed to live in the castle.

I looked down at my feet and remembered that I was only in socks and still haven't put on my shoes yet. 

"Hey Dion? I will be right back. I just got to grab my shoes." I ran out the room on the wooden floor down the hall. My socks slipped on the floor causing me to fall on my butt. When I fell, a blue light emitted from my hands.

"What the...?" I clapped my hands to see if  I would get the same results. When I saw nothing happen, I written it off as my imagination and continued to my room for my shoes. I returned to Dion's dressing room to see it only with his tailor inside.

"He already left for the ceremony." His tailor told me after he saw my confused face. I nodded my head at him and ran down the stairs to the public castle for guests on many different occasions.

I ran inside to see a group of about fifty people watching my brother on stage. They were chatting among themselves but only stopped when music blasted around the room begging for their attention. My mother and father stood directly in front of the stage so I ran to them. My mother held my hand after she spotted me and smiled while my father just nodded at me and turned back to Dion on stage. It was no secret that Dion was my father's favorite but sometimes I wondered if he wanted Dion's power for himself.

"Thank you for coming to the crowning of the new Alpha King." One of the Elders spoke up. His young looking features wouldn't have gave away that he was over 500 years old. A few people clapped and whistled at his words.

"But before we crown our new King, we have one last test for him." Another Elder said. Murmurs and whispers spread across the room while I looked at Dion in confusion; he never mentioned a test. His face portrayed confidence but I knew he was confused as well because of the way he tapped his left thigh with his hand. We both did that when we were nervous.

"Mother? Do you know about a last test?" I asked her. She shook her head as they wheeled a small hospital bed on the stage.

"The King has to be able to heal others as well as he can heal himself." The last Elder spoke up. "This patient has been in a horrible fire that has left severe burns all over her body. Dion Rogers? Your job is to heal her."

The crowd quieted down when Dion stepped closer to the patient. "How do I heal?" He asked.

"Just place your hand over her body and concentrate. Think about her burn healing in your mind. You will know the rest."

Dion did what was told as an audience watched him. His eyes were closed and face was concentrated. Five minutes had passed and I was beginning to get worried.

"Come on Dion." I whispered to myself. Two more minutes passed and nothing changed. I released my mother's hand from my grip and ran closer to the stage.

"Alerick!" I heard my father call out in a disappointing tone. I  climbed the stage and stood next to Dion.

"You can do this Dion." I said to him.

"I'm trying." He whispered back. I sighed in frustration for him.

"Here, I'll even help you." I levitated my palms over the patient's body, closed my eyes and concentrated on healing her. A huge gasp collected from the audience and I opened my eyes to see what was going on. The blue light was leaving my hands and stretching over the patient's body. In a second, she opened her eyes, sat up and took in a huge breath of air. I fell back on my butt for the second time today.

"Thank you Alpha King for healing me." She said to my brother. He shook his head and turned to me on the floor.

"It wasn't me." Dion responded.

"Then who was it?" The patient asked.

"Your new Alpha King; Alpha Alerick Rogers!" The second Elder announced. They began to place a crown on my head and I took it off but they placed it back and adjusted it. Soon, one by one, everyone in the audience began to clap. I stared at my brother to see his reaction. He just stared back in shocked. 

"Let me help you up, my Lord." The first Elder said. I cringed at how it sounded. 

"No." I finally croaked out. "Dion is your King!"

"You hold all the characteristics as him and a King and don't worry about the training; I'm sure you'll catch on fine."

"Dion?" I asked. Dion let out a growl in frustration before shifting to his wolf. "Wait Dion? Dion? Diooonnn!"

"He'll be fine my Lord."

Erica

"Wait let me get this straight. You were the first born?" I asked.

"Well that is possible or that the Elders were incorrect."

"Alerick?" I sighed knowing I would hate the answer to this question. "Where are your parents?"

"They were attacked by rogues and placed in a coma. The doctor doesn't know when they will wake up. Not even I can heal them."

"Do you think Dion...?"

"No!" Alerick cut me off. "Dion loved our parents." 

"I'm sorry and this is why you hate being called my Lord?"

 "Correct; I didn't earn that title. I wish I could say that day doesn't bother me but it haunts me in my dreams everyday of my life."