Chapter 31: Missing

Alerick
Why would Erica lie to me?
About Dion?
All of this could have been prevented, I would have searched for Dion earlier, I would have protected her more, I would have...

I needed to get out my head. If I didn't stop analyzing information like that, I would be on the verge of losing my sanity.
Even if Erica told me in advance, there was no sure way I would have been able to keep the Kingdom and my mate; the one I love.

I love Erica.

Of course I love her. I wanted to tell her but now I might not get the chance.
Don't think like that.

I needed to return to the castle and tell everyone that there was definitely a war on our hands.

I gathered the guards outside Alpha Sancus' home and informed them of the plan to return home. Since there was no longer a carriage, we would all be traveling by wolf form. Our luggage would have to stay until a future trip back. I also informed that we were leaving in ten minutes because I had to say goodbye.

I walked to the middle of the pack grounds and I stared at everyone I grew up with. Grew to love. Grew to respect.

"I will avenge you all." I said to no one in particular. "And when this war is over, I will return to give you a proper burial. You all deserve it."

I look around at the pack members bodies and spotted Alpha Sancus' niece, Sasha. I remember vaguely one of the guards informing me that Erica held her hand for quite a while before taking off after me.

I didn't know the meaning or significance of her doing that but I believe it was worth a try.

I hesitantly reached out and touched her hand. Then I held it firmly.
She was cold.

That was the only conclusion I came to while holding her hand and just before I released it, I heard a small voice.

"Erica is fine."

I dropped her cold hand in surprise and jumped again when I felt a hand on my shoulder.

"Are you okay Alpha?"

"Yes. I'm fine Scott. We should return to the Kingdom now." Scott stared at me in disbelief but nodded his head in agreement.We both shifted, along with the other three guards, and we were on our way back to the castle.

After a couple hours, I could finally see the castle up ahead and the question returned to me.

The Kingdom or Erica?
It was unbelievable that I lived in a world where I couldn't have both.

After Dion have shown me what he's capable of, I couldn't hand over the safety of my people to him.

And if I lose my Queen, I would lose myself. I wouldn't be able to live on without her now that I know of her magnificent existence.

I ran up to the main castle grounds and shifted back. I had informed Miss Terra ahead of time that I would be returning home and she was waiting for me outside with a change of clothes for me.

"Where is Lady Erica?" She asked me as she handed me the articles of clothing one by one.

"Missing."

I walked past her and inside the castle where Kent and Gary were waiting.

"Gather all the warrior wolves. We need to strategize now." I said with authority in my voice.

"Alpha, I think just for tonight you should rest." Kent said calm.

"Get everyone out here!" I yelled. Usually when I yelled, I would feel better because Erica would be here to calm me down at any cost necessary but she wasn't here now.

"We cannot waste anymore time." I continued. "Dion is planning a war now that I haven't handed over the Kingdom. I will be waiting on everyone."

I stood at the top of the staircase waiting for everyone to join me. One by one, the warrior wolves walked into the castle. Some were groaning and yawning and rubbing their eyes proving they were asleep. They chattered among themselves before Kent and Gary joined me on the staircases, then they noticed me. I cleared my throat re-thinking what I had to say. Everyone wasn't here yet but I was positive they would find out soon.

"I'm not sure if anyone has been informed yet but the leader of the army of rogues is my older brother, Dion." The room fell silent after this announcement. "Also, he has our Luna in captive." A few growls were released in the room. I waited for silence again before I continued.

"As much as I hate unnecessary acts of violence, I'm here to inform you that Dion wants a war and by all means we WILL be defending our Kingdom."
Cheers and howls scattered through the room and I smiled at their enthusiasm before I remembered what I had to say next.

"Also I have to inform you that no one will be going to save the Queen." Once again, the room fell silent.

"I understand the disbelief in everyone but I have my reasons. As long as he wants the Kingdom, he will not harm the Queen. He's using her as leverage. I cannot risk us going after Erica, failing at the attempt and him hurting another innocent pack."

At that moment, I had the answer to my dilemma. As much as I loved Erica, to be the Alpha King, I had to be selfless and choose what's best for the entire Kingdom including her. My head began to pound immensely but I ignored it .

"We will begin training in the morning." My head pounded harder this time. "You are dismissed."

I walked swiftly to my office trying to find somewhere to sit down. I sat in my seat and asked the Moon Goddess for relief from this cringe worthy headache. I grabbed a hold of my desk to calm down. A picture frame fell at my feet and I struggled to reach for it. After I picked it, I noticed it was a photo of Erica.

I remembered this day very well. She was in the day care reading a story to all the children while I watched from the door post silently. I remembered how big and contagious her smile was. After I snapped a picture of her, she laughed and shook her head before getting up and pushing me out the door and closing it behind her. She didn't know this but I stayed at the door and just listened to her voice.Just the thought of her calmed my headache.

"Alpha!" Someone said as they burst into my office. I hesitantly looked up from the picture and at the person.

"What is it Scott?" I asked.

"I'm sorry to come in like this but the Luna..." He said to me all in one breath before trying to catch his own. I stood up from my seat and walked over to him.

"What about her?"

"She just contacted me through the mind link."

AN: You guys were close enough so I decided to release the chapter. Now you have to give me 12 votes and 5 comments. Good luck. Until next time....