Deliberate

Ella's POV

Its been several weeks and all they can tell me is 'it was deliberate' well no shit Sherlock, tell me something I didn't know. When we first arrived at my apartment, every where I looked I saw black and a thick coating of soot, everything was gone. All the furniture I worked so hard to pay off, all my clothing, and my greatest loss of all was my photo album. The one photo I cherished with my life was in my drawer of my desk. I normally place it in my purse but for some reason I thought no I don't want to lose it, 'stupid me what the hell was I thinking' Now that was gone too, I stood in the middle of what use to be my lounge disoriented and overwhelmed with all the things I lost in one night/day. I moved in with Christian and he has been amazing, he took me shopping for a whole new wardrobe.

One Saturday afternoon we were lounging around, well more me than him, he always worked even on a Sunday we could be out for lunch he was on the phone with someone. I was on his lounge watching television when he approached

"Do you feel like doing something different tonight?"

"Sure, what did you have in mind"

"I just got of the phone with my sister Annette and she was saying Mum and Dad have invited us for dinner if you feel up to it"

"Um okay"

"What's wrong?"

after a few minutes silence

"What if they don't like me, and I'm not what they expected you to be with?"

"Ella"

he tilted my chin so I was now looking at him,

"They are going to love you like I do"

I nodded not sure if I would put of a confident 'yes'

At 5:30 pm we arrived, the house was hugh, I don't even think you could call it a house, it was more of a mansion, they had security at the front door, and the white exterior, with the nicely cut lawns, and hedges. I was out of my league, as we walked up the stairs his parents greeted us His mum Julie and father Jacob both introduce themselves, they were really nice. I was enjoying my dinner and the light conversation we were having around the home. When Christians father turned to me

"Ella you remind me of someone, I use to know in college, where did you say you were from?"

"California Sir"

"Oh goodness no need to call me sir"

"And your parents, where were they from"

I looked at Christian, as I wasn't sure if I wanted to have this discussion with him, and let him know all about me, I didn't know him. Even though I trusted Christian that did not extend to the immediate family, I was cautious of what I said he is a lawyer and they can read your body language like a dog who can smell a bone buried 5 metres away.

I had to lie

"Ohio"

"Oh well it definitely can't be them"

"Why do you ask Mr Williams" silence

"My best friend we grew up together we were neighbours, we went to same high school, then college together, we were two peas in a pod me and him, then one day he was different, I couldn't put my finger on it, then he told me he meet a girl in one of his classes and he wouldn't stop talking about her. She was such a beauty, so smart and witty, that is how I met your mother son through her, she set me up on a blind date. he smiled at a memory he must be having Anyway eventually he married her had two kids to her. It was such a cliche he was the lawyer, she was the doctor, they had a boy and girl, and they were in love. Then we grew up I moved to New York for work, every now and then we would stay in contact via phone or email, but we never got the chance to meet up again our schedules and our families just never allowed us to visit each other. But then tragedy strike he and his wife were shot dead in front of his daughter. I've been searching for his children since, I wanted to make sure they were well looked after, he was like my brother. I attended his funeral but I missed his children, I even went to their house but they weren't there, I've several notes for them to contact me, but I never got a reply. I could see he was sad, thinking about the past life he had You remind me of them you look like her and your mannerism reminds me of him"

"What were their names"

"Eric Johnson and Trish Stone, but she changed to Johnson when she got married"

My heart slowed to a murmur, I looked at my fingers not wanting to give away that the person he has been searching for was me. He knew my Mum and Dad, I was trying so hard no to tear up in front of everyone, I wanted to be excused or run out the room, but I had to keep my composure. I was paying so much attention to my hands that I didn't hear anything else. I could feel Christian watching me he lifted my face to look into his eyes, and the minute he saw my face, he knew what I was thinking.

"Sorry Dad do you mind if I show Ella my old room"

"Of course son"

He held onto my elbow and signalled that I needed to move with him, which I did. I followed him into the hall way, I stood still while he closed the door to the dining room,

"Hey" he said

he grab me and held me tight

"He knows my parents"