The Only One

Tabitha

I get in the car and listen to Erik as he denies falling for me. I frown to myself. I kinda wish he was. But then again he's starting a life in Buttonwillow. I think it's cute that he said were starting a family. I wonder if he realizes how close we'll be to each other when he moves? He gets in and we take off. It doesn't take long before we're pulling in at Sir Winston's restaurant he parks then his phone rings. He looks at his phone and grins then stuffs it back in his pocket.

Everything okay?

I ask concerned by the look on his face but he nods

Yeah but I just don't know why Robs calling. He probably just pocket called me. I'll call him later. We walk inside.

Hey call Rob it might be about Freddy. I'll be right back.

I go to the restroom and when I get back to our table Erik's already ordered and has red wine in our glasses so I smile and sit down.

You know you didn't have to bring me to a fancy restaurant. I would've been happy making dinner for the two of us.

I tell him and he chuckles.

Don't you like this place?

He asks taking my hand so I laugh lightly.

I don't know, I've never been. I was just telling you something I like. Fancy is nice every now and then but you didn't have to.

I explain before continuing.

So, was everything okay with Rob?

He nods taking a drink without looking at me.

He's already heard we're engaged. Lily talks to a lot of people. My parents will be calling soon.

I giggle but he grins.

What's so funny? My parents are really particular and this...

I grab his hand cutting him off.

Hey it's not like you really plan on marrying  me. Just tell them she's spreading rumors and she's just mad because you have a new woman in your life.

Okay, and I know I didn't have to bring you here. I wanted to. But it's nice to know you can cook and you'd rather be home alone with me then out with strangers surrounding us.

He smiles blowing off the parent conversation.

Maddie's mom taught me to cook and she's a chef.

He grins then.

Well aren't I the lucky one.

He jokes as they bring our food to the table and I examine our plates.

Yes you are lucky, but so am I.

He looks at me then our plates. He got the Dover Sole Meuniere and ordered me the Seared Day Boat Scallops.

I look at our food knowing I hate scallops but try mine anyway while he tries his.

These are really good you should try them.

I lie then offer him some but he frowns.

No thanks. I don't like scallops.

I grin.

Oh. Well you should still try them. Maybe you'll like theirs.

I hope he'll like them so I won't have to eat them but he frowns.