Chapter Eighteen

"He asked you to Homecoming?" Skye asked, taking a pause from reapplying her lip gloss. During school on Wednesday, Addison had called a bathroom meeting during lunch so that she could tell the others about last night.

            "That's weird," Adrienne commented. She continued when she saw the slightly offended look on Addison's face. "Not that it's weird he asked you. I just mean that Tom never asks anyone to any dance."

This was true. Usually their friend group always went to dances together. Occasionally some of them would bring dates, but Tom never did. He claimed it allowed him to play the field at the dances and enabled him to dance with multiple girls.

"What do I do?" Addison asked. She had not expected to be put in this position when she agreed to go along with the plan, so she was asking for advice from the girls who came up with the idea in the first place.

Adrienne shrugged and fixed her smudged eyeliner in the bathroom mirror. "Just keep going along with the plan. He'll probably try to make a move that night."

"Great," Addison groaned, not finding that advice the least bit helpful.

"I'm surprised he hasn't already," Noelle stated. Addison blushed slightly; if anyone had made a move yet it had been her.

"What I can't believe is that he took you stargazing. That's just so romantic," Skye gushed.

"It was," Addison agreed. "He was really sweet too. He was acting completely different."

Addison had enjoyed last night. More than she cared to admit actually, which was why she spared the details when she told her friends about it. She didn't tell them about the way Tom's eyes lit up when he talked about space, showing how passionate he was about it. Addison had only seen Tom that happy before when he was playing guitar or skateboarding. She didn't tell the girls about the way her heart started beating faster when she caught Tom looking at her. She didn't tell them about the butterflies in her stomach when he called her beautiful or the way they multiplied when he kissed her. Nor did she tell them how crushed she felt when Tom dropped her off at home and she had to remind herself that it was all part of a game.          

"He's really invested in this bet," Adrienne observed. "He probably doesn't want to scare you off from moving too fast."

"I guess we'll find out just how invested after Homecoming," Noelle giggled and Addison cringed at the thought.

"Come on, let's get out of here," Skye said, putting away her lip gloss and closing her purse that she opted to carry instead of a backpack.

The four girls walked out of the bathroom and headed back to the senior lounge to spend the rest of their lunchtime there. The six guys were sitting on the couches, leaving no spots left for the girls. That wasn't a problem for Adrienne as she just sat down on Billie Joe's lap.

"What took you guys so long?" Billie asked after wrapping his arms around Adrienne's lap and kissing her cheek.

"We were talking about Homecoming," Adrienne answered. It wasn't a complete lie. "We have to go dress shopping this week."

Billie Joe groaned. "I'm already sick of Homecoming, all the planning. I can't wait for it to be over already."

"It's our last Homecoming, BJ. Come on, you have to be a little excited," Noelle replied, sitting down on the floor with her back up against one of the couch's armrests so that she was sitting at Mike's feet and across from Billie. Skye sat down next to her. Addison ignored Tom's smirk as he patted the armrest next to him and she instead sat down on the floor across from him and next to Travis.