CHAPTER 1: Sins of the Father

I live, I die, I burn, I drown
I endure at once chill and cold
Life is at once too soft and too hard
I have sore troubles mingled with joys

Suddenly I laugh and at the same time cry
And in pleasure many a grief endure
My happiness wanes and yet it lasts unchanged
All at once I dry up and grow green

Thus I suffer love's inconsistencies
And when I think the pain is most intense
Without thinking, it is gone again.

Then when I feel my joys certain
And my hour of greatest delight arrived
I find my pain beginning all over once again.
-Delmira Agustini

-:-:-:-:-

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS IS THE FIRST DRAFT OF MY STORY. IT HAS NOT BEEN PROFESSIONALLY EDITED OR PROOFREAD.

This book is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents either are products of my imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead are coincidental, with the exception of some cities and some events that may be non-fictional.

Readers, please be aware that this story contains mature content such as Drugs, abuse, sex and explicit language that may be upsetting to some.

= edited =

Eva was 14 when her father Jorge Jimenez passed away.

He had died a drunk and in debt, and with very little credit to his name. Still, her father's debt collectors did not care that he had died, to them someone had to pay. Shortly after the funeral services they decided to pay a visit to the deceased family's home to explain to his grieving widow that regardless of his untimely death, she was now responsible for his debt. A substantial one to boot.

Unfortunately the family was broke and was left with only a few household treasures, not enough to even get by on their own. So to prove how generous this collector was, he gave the widow a month to have the full debt settle.

A month would seem a just amount of time to pay a debt. However when they explained the ludicrous amount that Jorge Jimenez owed and thus to be paid, Eva's mother went into a fit of madness that never truly subsided.

At this age, Eva was aware of the gravity of the situation. You see the area she grew up in had the tendency to inflict many life lessons at a young age. So to her, this was not new. Both parents had the tendency to owe people and at the tender age of 9 Eva had learned to pay their dues in order to keep her little brother safe.

At 14, she stood around 5'3 110 lbs, lean built.  Beautiful was not a strong synonym to describe her, but if everyone had to choose her best assets, it would be her eyes. To look into her eyes was something of a phenomenon. Her eyes were the color of gold and had the habit of seeing inside your soul; Or so it was said.

As she grew older and bolder, the town began to slightly fear her. It is quite difficult to describe how one felt around her. It unnerved many, this being the reason everyone told her the truth no matter what.

Eva's eyes were something akin to that of a mystical nature; with a haunting and unwavering gaze that breathed fire on its own. Thus, you couldn't lie to her and look her straight in the eye. Consequently, Eva was able to comprehend life differently than most kids her age.

Take the situation they were currently in. Eva understood the gravity of the mess her father left them in. And knew, without a shadow of a doubt that if her mother, or somebody, didn't pay up soon, they would not live a day, lest an hour past the month.