Chapter 21: Linda

*******Not Edited*********

Linda woke up and forgot where she was at. She scratched her head, adjusted her eyes to the dark. Her body was tired, it felt battered. They were days she wished she was still in jail, there at least she was fed and had a place to stay. Linda stood, moving whoever's hand was on her out the way. She got off the bed and stood to stretch. She found her clothes and began to dress.

She sighed heavily as she noticed new bruises on her. She turned her sneering face toward her John, walked toward his wallet and removed $90 before taking off. She looked around the desolate streets and decided she needed to go see how her daughter was and see Eva and Joey. She was hesitant, thinking she wouldn't be received. It was early morning, maybe it would be best to stop for at least a little bit, though Linda. With a new resolution she decided to go, she jumped on the first bus she saw and made her way.

********

"Faster Darla like this." Joey was showing how to beat an egg.

"All this work!" Darla complained.

"Yes, all this work, come on you guys in a few hours we'll have a feast." Eva said, checking on the turkey.

"A few hours!" Darla slumped all the way down from her chair.

Joey and Eva laughed. There was a knock in the door.

"I'll get it." Vanessa called out.

"Marcos, OH My, come in Linda." Vanessa startled voice alarming Eva.

Eva stepped toward them and saw Marcos removing his starter cap and scratching his head. A small smile on his lips as she followed Vanessa and his gaze. She couldn't believe it. Linda stood there facing them, she looked like a shell of a woman.

"Linda." Eva said her name softly afraid she'd bolt. Linda's eyes began to pool, tears streaming from her face. Actual tears, not the fake ones Eva was used to seeing. Eva embraced her and cooed her softly. She looked at Marcos who stood by and mouthed a thank you to him. He bit his lip, unsure of himself.

"Come on Linda are you hungry?" She walked away from both of them. "But first you need a shower."

Marcos and Vanessa stood looking at them leave. "I'll see you later Vanessa." Marcos turned to leave.

"Wait where did you find her?" Vanessa asked curious.

"She just showed up at my place. She didn't even know it was thanksgiving today." Marcos smiled tightly.

"Thanks, see you in a little bit." She closed the door behind him.

Eva turned the water for Linda and ran her a hot bath. She helped her remove her clothes, they were torn and dirty. Eva decided to throw them away, there was no need for her to wash them. Linda moved as if catatonic, Eva found new and old bruises in her body. Eva cursed silently, she remembered the girls who were held against their will, all the girls used for sex trafficking. Her resolve building, rooting itself. Any doubts she had before now were crumpled at the sight of Linda.

She left her alone to bathe, leaving the Jack and Jill door slightly ajar, afraid she'd drown. Vanessa came by to check up them.

"How's it going?"

"Okay, she's out of it. Do the kids know she's here?" Eva asked. Looking for clothes. Linda was taller than Eva so pants were out of the question. She decided on a Maxi dress that ended below Eva's knees. With Linda's height, the dress would fit her above the knee.