Chapter 15: Quandaries

***Not Edited***

Eva returned from her Dinner party to Vanessa's house. She had phoned Sammy she was staying the night. It was late and the kids were fast asleep. She didn't want to wake them up. Sammy had mentioned Linda had stopped by to see her and that she got her mail. Eva figured it was to drop off the money, the letter for the hearing was left in case she showed up at the apartment.

The date of the hearing was in a couple of days. Eva would be present with Vanessa and was asked to write a character letter. It was an easy thing for her to do. She liked writing.

"How did it go?" Vanessa asked softly as Eva made her way to the kitchen.

"It was fun. Oscar showed up."

"Oh." Vanessa's eyes widened a bit concerned.

"It shouldn't bother them, I'm not with Marcos and he's my friend." she answered defensively.

"I know." she yawned. She had stayed up, waiting for her. She had been a bit nervous, knowing now the full story, she became just as tight leashed as Joe. Sammy had not gone to her Dinner party because it had been a request as a birthday courtesy. Sammy had ordered someone else instead to keep an eye on her, without her knowledge. He wasn't about to stop the agenda just because she had asked.

"Good night Vanessa." she made her way to the restroom to change before she fell asleep in the couch.

*****

The court ruled in favor for Vanessa, she had demonstrated strong evidence of negligence against Linda. Linda didn't even bother to show up to court thus making it easier on the judge to make his decision. None of them knowing at the time that she had been arrested that weekend. They walked out of court with smiles in place. Eva a bit lighter in mood knowing if anything was to happened to her, Vanessa  would properly care for them.

Eva was a bit upset that Linda had not showed up to give her the money the following day. Eva wanted the last of the money to go straight to Vanessa. When Linda didn't turn up the following day to give Eva the money, Eva went to find her at Dom's. Dom, the restaurant owner had confirmed her presence there the night before. She asked around and couldn't find her.

It wasn't until CPS and the police showed up to the apartment a few days after the hearing that Eva was informed that her cousin had been arrested and they were there to place them all in protective services until a new guardian was appointed.

"Hold up, what? She was arrested this weekend and you're barely coming now?" Eva shook her head incredulously.

"Miss, we need to follow protocol. Right now you, your brother and cousin need to come with us." one of the officers whose name tag read Alvaro said.

"I don't think so. First of all, I'm an emancipated teen now, second their new appointed guardian is Vanessa Torres, if you did your job right, you'd know that before coming here and wasting our time." she looked over to the lady from CPS and said "She's one of you guys, how do you not know this?"

The cops stood standing behind the social worker.

"I don't understand, our report shows Linda as your guardian, Do you have documentation supporting otherwise." She looked calmly at Sammy and Eva.

"I think its best we take you in so we can settle this over at the office." The other cop named Mendez offered, taking a step forward.

Eva looked at both officers and the look they gave her was malignant, betraying their tone. Sammy must have noticed this as well because he made his way toward them.