Chapter 12: Emancipation

*****NOT EDITED*****

Eva was drinking a cup of water, everyone was too drunk to notice it wasn't Vodka. She had been at the party for over two hours. She had already released the merchandise but was staying a little longer because she didn't want to be home just yet.

The past week had been horrible. Oscar had at first refused to speak with her, finally they had decided to meet once a week so that there was nothing suspicious about them. She hated using a mediator to relay orders and transfer money but it was what it was. She understood his fear.

She hadn't written to Marcos since their argument last week, he had called several times and each time they passed her the phone she had hung up. She kept receiving letters from him, the last more urgent than the first. He had requested she not talk to Oscar as well, claiming that it wasn't right to please listen to Joe. She didn't care at the moment. He was hundreds of miles away and wouldn't be out for months.

Joe, on the other hand was another matter. She liked Joe, trusted Joe, she began to consider him as an older brother. It was eating at her that they weren't in speaking terms. She knew they were both wrong. However, if Marcos or Joe found out the truth between Oscar and herself, she knew they'd be in real deep trouble.

She downed her water as if it was alcohol. Everyone there was loaded.

"Come on Eva dance with me." Kathy said as she moved to the dance floor.

"Okay." she giggled as she moved to the beat.

"Eva are you out? You got more merch?" Ernie asked her.

"Nah I'm tapped out. I can get some more tomorrow."

"Ah man, nah I was gonna buy another blunt from you."

"Sorry yo, no mas." she kept dancing with Kathy.

"Your boy Oscar's here, you think he's got some on him?"

She spun around at the sound of his name. "What? where?"

Ernie nodded to a secluded spot with a table. He was sitting down with a few guys and a couple of scandidly clad women.

"I can ask." she made her way toward Oscar.

Oscar saw Eva approach and quickly stood. He didn't know she'd be there tonight. It had been awkward every time they bumped into each other.

"Sup Oscar." she said as she met him.

"Sup Eva, what you doing here?"

"I came to party with my girl Kathy. Kathy this is Oscar. Oscar this is Kathy." she finally introduced each other.

"Nice to meet you, I'm a big fan of your product." she took a swig of her beer.

He smiled at that. "Thanks, good to know. What's up Eva?" he looked at her skeptically. He knew she was aware that he had spoke with Joe about their friendship.

"I have some people who need some meds, you got any?"

"Of course, who needs it?" he scanned the party.

"the tall guy there by the D.J."

He nodded. "Okay, send him this way."

She smiled and grabbed Kathy to leave.

"It was nice to meet you." Kathy called out as Eva dragged her away.

Eva made her way through the thick crowd and their sweat glistening bodies. It was hot and humid, the party was at an abandoned warehouse so there was no air-conditioner, only fans. She pulled on Ernies shirt to get his attention. She let him know that Oscar had some on him and that he was expecting him at the table. He looked up, a bit nervous but smiled with gratitude. Eva watched him leave toward the table. Her heart dropped at the sight of Joe and Sammy walking in, bee lining their way toward Oscar.