Chapter 4: Caged Animals

= edited =

"Oh my god, I'm nervous!" Linda blew smoke out of the passenger door. She turns to look at Eva, a huge smile on her face. Joe's eyes lock with Eva through the rear view mirror, a silent understanding shown in his eyes. Linda had been looking forward to this trip ever since Eva received the letter from Marcos. It had been a challenge to get Eva, who was under age, to visit someone in the state prison who wasn't family. Three months later, here they were bound up North.

Linda chuckled to herself. She was high and thought no one knew any better. "Shit, I can still remember his face, even though I seen him once. He's fine as hell" She keeps talking. "How long did you say he has left?" She turns her attention to Joe.

"Three more years," He responds and takes a swig of his coffee. It's early in the morning, light is starting to show through the cracks of the clouds.

"I can wait," She said to no one in particular and nodded to Eva. Eva nodded at nothing really, she turned to Joe again and this time a ghost of a smile appeared in his face.

-:-:-:-:-

Marcos was pacing like a caged animal, he knew that he was having visitors today. He hadn't seen Eva or Joey for months now. He had settled himself fine in his new housing ward. Word usually spread fast in jail of who the future neighbors would be. Marcos wasn't worried about his safety here though; he couldn't understand his anxiety. He knew Joe was on his way and would soon see them and see how they were doing.

One of the benefits of being in jail is that you had time. Time is the one luxury those outside of the penitentiary steel didn't have. He used that time to begin to find pieces of El Gallo's operation and find out more of who his clients were. El Gallo had a handful of clients, his operation was small but it was starting in its fruition.

On the second night he got there, he was summoned to meet with Silent. He was the main one on this yard, the one who ran this operation. He was escorted by two men who had known this place to be their home for more than half of their lives. Once he was outside of Silent's cell, two others sized him up before giving him entrance. He recognized one of the men from his youth. He had been from a rival gang.

Inside prison there was no individual gangs. You were divided among race mostly. For Mexicans, it was simple. Either you were a South Sider or Norteno; nothing in between. Silent made a sound that sounded like an okay and was given entrance. Silent was a very tall man. Husky and strong, typical frame for those who spent their time pumping iron. He was about 40 years old and mean. The others waited outside the cage ready for any instructions.

The first time he had met Silent, Marcos had been 16. He had helped Silent transport merchandise. Even though he was behind the bars, Silent was able to have a strong hold on areas on the outside. He was diligent and organized at whatever he did, earning Marcos his respect. Here they were again, 5 years later. Silent's large frame stood up to greet him. He motioned for him to sit down.

"Marcos, it's good seeing you. I must admit I was a bit surprised to know you were being transferred here," Silent's low voice is what gave him his nickname. That and the fact that he tended to be a bit of a recluse. There was no need to ask how Silent got his information. Everyone knew that these walls talked.

"Silent, it's good seeing you too. Yes, I was surprised myself," Marcos knew before he transferred here who was in charge of this place. When you run the streets, it's good to know when you go to jail who you answer to. This helps avoid a lot of stress.

"Last I heard of you, you were out of jail," Silent said.

"I was."

"How long did you last out?"