Chapter 11: Joey

*****NOT EDITED*****

Joey was looking for something to wear. He looked but couldn't find anything good. Eva had promised to take him shopping but hadn't had the chance. Darla was patiently waiting for Joey to get dressed and Joe was in the kitchen reading. Eva was running late, she had called saying she was 10 minutes away.

Joey was turning twelve and had suggested a bowling party. Eva had come up with the money and reserved a couple of lanes for today's event. They had personally made the invitations and he had passed them out to his friends from school. He looked through his drawers and wasn't satisfied with his attire. He couldn't help feeling like a girl at the moment. Lots of clothes but nothing to wear.

He groaned. He was aware that Eva was selling, she never held secrets from him, she just never openly engaged in revealing the secrets either. He had found a brick of marijuana in her drawer. He had been looking for Chocolate. He had seen her stash the candy from a kids birthday party they had attended. Joey may have not been as street wise as Eva, but was hood enough to understand. She was saving it for a rainy day, or so she would say.

"Eva's here." Darla cried out.

"Yes, Eva's here." Eva said lightly. "Oh Birthday boy, I have a gift for you." she walked slowly to his room. His door was ajar, when she walked in. She was holding a birthday bag.

"What is it?"

"Open it and find out." her smiled not fitting her face.

He grabbed it and began to open the gift. Inside he found clothes. She had gone shopping for him after all. He took out a brand new pair of 501 jeans and a double striped t-shirt and a varsity jacket. Eva had good taste. His smile wide with delight, he ran to change, ran back to hug her, then ran back.

Eva smiled humbly after him. She walked toward Darla who was dressed in leggings and a T-shirt. She smiled at the words her shirt said. "Mess with the bull, you get the horns." a picture of Richard Vernon from the movie Breakfast club.

"Are you ready Darla for some fun?"

"Yes, I'm gonna beat you this time." she jumped up.

"We'll see, you want to make a bet?" moving her eyebrows up and down continuously.

"Yes, If I win you owe me $100" she exclaimed.

"Okay, that's kind of steep but I think I can manage. If I win, you owe me dishes for a week."

Darla groaned. "Dishes, Really! okay, fine." she smiled grudgingly.

Joe came out of the kitchen with a drink on hand. He was meeting them at the bowling party. Vanessa was meeting up with Joe at the apartment first.

"Eva you got a letter today." His eyes gleaming.

"From Marcos?"

"Nope, from court." he nodded at the direction of the letter. They had chosen a spot by the foyer, atop a chestnut desk to hold the letters.

She made her way to it and found a few others that needed her attention as well. "Thanks." she opened it and scanned it quickly with her eyes. In it was the date for court. She would have a hearing regarding her emancipation. Fortunately Vanessa had been beyond helpful in this. She helped her with the forms and explaining her rights.

Eva had managed to doctor some working forms. She had written to Marcos for help, she needed a letter of employment and she wanted to see if Sammy could help her with establishing financial documentation. She needed to prove she was able to take care of herself independently.