Chapter 26: Epilogue

*******Not Edited ******

Eva left Sammy's office lighter. He helped her invest her money in various portfolios. She had opened accounts for Darla and Joey, each to be available on their 18 birthday. She felt so grown up making these decision.

She had already set everything in place for her departure. Sammy didn't know that this visit today was to finalize the details.

"I'll see you on Saturday." Sammy walked her out.

"Yes, can you believe it?" She shook her head.

Everyone was excited for Joe and Vanessa's wedding. For Eva it was the mark of a bittersweet moment. The ending of one journey and the beginning of another.
She waved goodbye and drove to meet Kathy for their lunch break.

********

I can't believe you're going through with it!" Kathy groaned. She rested her head on her arms on the table.

"Come on it's not forever. I'll come around."

"No you won't you'll be busy with your new life and forget about us." She pouted "And worse you haven't told Marcos!" She eyed her angrily.

"You know why Kathy we've been through this."

"I know it's just shady!"

"You sound like Joey. Look I don't need a lecture, it's a signed deal. I want to do this. I need to do this. If Marcos truly loves me he'll understand."

"But it'll crush him." She said glumly.

Eva cast her eyes down ashamed at that. " I know, but he's a survivor and who knows, maybe in the future, if he hasn't cursed my name and hates my guts...." She shrugged.

************

The wedding was a success, what was supposed to be an intimate wedding turned into a real pachanga. They had arrived on Wednesday night and were scheduled to depart on Sunday morning.

Marcos and Eva paid for their honeymoon as their wedding gift. Kathy was going to be the babysitter for the week they were gone.

Eva and Marcos danced on the floor. He couldn't keep his hands off of her. She looked stunning in her plum bridesmaid dress. Her sweetheart neckline revealing enough cleavage to tease him.

There was something off with Eva. At first he thought it would pass away but, lately the past few weeks he'd begin to suspect something was wrong. She was nervous and secretive. She didn't meet his eyes when he asked what was the matter. He thought that she'd relax after the wedding but as the day grew so did his apprehension.

"Okay that's it, spill." Marcos demanded. He placed both hands in the back of her neck, forcing her gaze to his.

"Spill what?" She smiled too quickly.

"Eva, I know something is bothering you so you might as well say it." His annoyance growing.

"Nothing is the matter." She stopped dancing. "I'm just tired."

He looked at her hard before responding. "Bullshit." His voice terse.

"Marcos drop it."

He grabbed her arm and pulled her away from the dance floor. His grip just above uncomfortable. He moved her to a secluded area and pinned her on the wall.

"Out with it." His face serious.

"I'm serious, I'm just tired."

"Eva." Vanessa waived her over. Saved, Eva thought.