Chapter 23: D-day

******Not Edited ******

Marcos drove Eva's car and parked it inside the parking lot three blocks from where the Chief was going to pick up Eva. They were 15 minutes early. He turned off the ignition and turned his body to her. He rubbed his hands on his jeans, nerves hitting him hard. He looked at Eva, she seemed a bit more relaxed than he. She wore dark jeans with large rose patterns, a thin rose colored sweater with black sequin elbow patches and tan leather ankle boots.

She looked at him, eyebrow raised. "What, you're not going to tell me?"

"Tell you what?" He was a bit distracted.

"To be careful."

"I want to show you better." He reached for his pant pocket and removed a small blue box.

Eva's eyes widened at it. He smiled shyly. "No Eva it's not that." He handed her the box.

She hesitated opening it.

"Open it." He urged her.

She opened the box and gasped. Inside was a titanium ring with natural black diamonds in the shape of the eternity symbol. She looked up expectantly.

He grabbed the ring from her hand. "This is a promise ring. I want you to promise me you'll be careful, not just today but forever. If anything were to happen to you Eva..." She leaned in to kiss him.

"I promise." She looked him straight at his eyes. He placed it on her middle finger, perfect fit.

"It's made of titanium. I thought it was a good fit, titanium is sturdy and light like you. The diamonds are forever and just as beautiful as you."

Her smile larger. She kissed him again.

"Wear it, at all times, Eva." His face serious, emotion rasping in his voice.

"I will." She opened the door to get out.

He got out, opened the trunk and grabbed her large bag, handing it to her hesitantly. She grabbed it with one hand, only to be pulled into his embrace. He kissed her passionately, every cell of her body responding. He released her after he had his fill.

"Be careful."

"I will, you," Eva pointed at Marcos. "Stay out of trouble."

"No promises." He said as he watched her walk away. Fear gripping his heart.

************

The Chief was already waiting for Eva as she made her way to the corner. He sat in the car watching her. He had to hold down his anger. He had not slept, he was glad that Linda at the end let him know that Marcos and Joe were out and that they were going to raid his place in Ojai. He was upset that Eva would not be part of his team, it was a shame, they would have been good together, he thought.

He stared at her, he was going to still have his way with her. He now had to adjust his plans. Oh well, he thought. He stepped out of the car as she began to walk toward him. She smiled brilliantly at him. Lies! All lies! He tried to control his anger.

"Eva, I'm so glad you could make it."

"I wouldn't miss it for the world."

He nodded at her as he held the door open for her. He made a signal to Alvaro who was to follow them on the motorcycle. He placed the bag she had in the back seat. Before he started the car he smiled at her.

"Ready? Last chance?"

"I'm as ready as I'll ever be." A sexy smile placed.

He nodded again and turned the engine on. He began his route, but instead of going toward the 101 north, he drove the car toward the 60 east. She looked expectantly at him. "Change of plans, the place in Ojai is not available." he smiled apologetically at her.