Chapter 13: Promises

Jackson's pov

After I brought Sophia to the hospital, the nurses directed me to the waiting room.

It was a small room, there were leather seats against a blank white wall. About 5 other people were there either waiting for someone or waiting to be looked at because they're hurt or something.

I notice a little girl, maybe about 7 years old, sitting in a chair all by herself. She looked kinda like Sophia but as a kid.

I walk over to her and sit down next to her. She looks up at me frighten.

"It's ok," I sooth her, "I'm Jackson."

"I-I'm Amanda," she smiles nervously.

"That's a cute name, Amanda," I give her a friendly smile.

"My mommy said that too before she left," Amanda starts to cry.

I pull her into a hug and rub her back trying to comfort her, "Amanda, I'm so sorry about your mom. Why'd she leave you?"

"She said she was going on vacation and that she'll come back in a few days, she never did," she cried into my jacket I'm wearing.

"Do you have a father?"

"Yeah, he's at home though. He left me here."

I growl. Why the hell would her parents leave such a sweet little girl? When I find them I will kill them, this is child abuse.

Amanda eventually stops crying and pulls out of my arms. I look down at her and I notice a bruise on her right arm.

"Amanda, how'd you get that bruise on your arm?"

"Oh uh," she tries to hid it, "It's just nothing."

"It's not just nothing, who gave you that bruise?" she looks scared again.

"My dad," she confesses.

A nurse comes up to us, "Mr. Devine, you can go see Sophia now."

I stand up and walk toward the hallway where Sophia was. I stop halfway and turn around and see Amanda crying again. I walk back over to her and pick her up.

She stops crying and hangs on to me. I smile and walk back toward the hallway and make it to Sophia's room.

I knock, "Sophia, it's me, Jackson."

"Come in," a feeble voice says.

I walk in to see a bandaged up Sophia on a bed connected to a lot of wires. She looks up and grins, "Who's that?"

"This is Amanda, her parents just leave her here by herself."

She gasps, "Poor kid!"

"Yeah," I set her down.

She walks over to Sophia, "Are you a friend of Jackson?"

"Yes I am sweetie," she smiles at Amanda.

"I hope you get better," Amanda hugs Sophia.

"I'm already better but they won't let me out," Amanda lets her go and she scowls.

"It's ok babe," I reassure her, "I'll get them to let you out."

Right after I said that, a phone rings.

"Emma is calling!" Sophia recognizes the ring tone.

"I'll answer it for you, where is it?" Sophia points to a chair by her bed.

I walk over and pick it up and answer, "Hi Emma, this is Jackson."

"Hey Jackson! Is Sophia there?"

"Yeah but she can't talk right now," I lie with a mischievous smile.

"Why?" She sounds scared.

"She's in the hospital, room 197."

"Be there in 10," she hangs up.

I set her phone down and look over at Sophia, she has her arms crossed and she looks mad, "Why did you do that?"

"Do what?"

"Get her to come here."

"Well you guys are best friends and you guys haven't seen each other for a while," I explain.

"Ok fine, I'll let this pass," she shakes her head disapprovingly.

"I love you," I kiss the scowling Sophia on her forehead.

"I love you more," she smiles now.

"Yay! I got to see your teeth," I dance around the room celebrating.

Sophia is back to scowling.

"Aw baby, I'm sorry," I stop celebrating and walk over to Sophia and grab her hand.

"I love you too much to stay mad at you," she smiles at me.

I forgot all about Amanda, she was sitting in the corner crying.

I hear her quiet sobs and turn around and pick her up, "Shh it's ok Amanda."

"You would be a great father someday," Sophia tells me.

I turn toward her," You would be a great mother."

We smile at each other. Forgetting about everything. I was caught in her gaze. Her eyes, the most beautiful thing I ever saw. Her lips, so soft. Her hands, she's so gentle with them.

Emma burst into the room breaking me from her gaze, "Sophia!"

"Emma!"

"Are you ok? What happened?" Emma bombarded her with questions.

"Emma, she's find, calm down," I say reassuringly.

I bend down and whisper in Sophia's ear, "I promise I'll protect you forever. I promise I'll come back to you always and that I'll love you always and forever."

She whispers back, "I promise that I'll love you forever and that I'll never leave you."

I stand up, "I love you Sophia."

"I love you too Jackson."

I walk out the room. Emma is squealing about us. I just shake my head and walk down the hall with Amanda fast asleep in my arms.

------------------------

Soooooooooo what do u think should happen to Amanda?

Please comment and vote. 😊

-Ashley ❤️