Chapter Two

Sally stared at her in disbelief.  “How did … how did you know?”

“I’m a mother. The signs are obvious: Retching when you wake, hungrier than normal, tired all the time. Not to mention a little weight gain and sensitive to things that wouldn’t otherwise bother you.”

“Yes. I’ve had all of that. I missed my course just around the time Corinne and Ryne married. I didn’t want to say anything yet. I believe the baby to be Matthew’s but I …” she winced, unable to hide her remorse for her former lifestyle… “I can’t be sure.”

“It’s alright. We’ll help take care of you and your baby. Let’s talk to Tom when he comes home and we’ll decide what to do from there.” Mamie assured her with a too-wide smile.

If only she knew my secrets. She’d kick me to the street and never look back.

“Get some rest. I’ll come get you for dinner.”

“Thank you, Mamie. You’ve been so kind to me. I wish I could repay you for all you’ve done.”

Mamie waved a dismissive hand. “Think nothing of it. The Lord said to take care of the widows and orphans. In my mind, I believe you are both. We’ve come to see you like a daughter. We take care of our own.” She hugged her again before leaving the room.

“Mamie?” Sally called out as the buxom woman neared the bedroom door.

“Yes, dear?”

“Please, don’t mention this to Lottie or anyone else. They’ll know all too soon. I’m thinking someone might even try to run me out of town once the news is made public that I’m pregnant. An unmarried mother usually has no place to go.”

“That won’t happen. We won’t let it.”

As she tried to say thank you, a sob broke through and Sally covered her eyes and wept. Mamie sighed and walked back to the bed, hugging the young woman as she bawled.

* * * * *

Buddy watched Lottie cross to the Banks' family home and saw her go in safely. He would certainly keep his eyes open from now on. He would head over to Mr. Tabor’s house to have a talk with him soon. Will was out in the county somewhere, helping a farmer with a problem. Buddy was thankful that the little town of Erie was a peaceful one, for the most part.

The most recent exception was back when Corinne McAllister, now Wilkinson, was kidnapped by the mad banker. That was something. He still struggled with the fact that he pulled the trigger on Miss Sally’s only true love. Many nights, he prayed for forgiveness. He knew it was justified, but he also wrestled with his own turmoil over taking a life. She never mentioned it, but he wondered if she had forgiven him. Maybe he would do that the next time they had a few minutes alone. His thoughts turned to the blonde haired, blue eyed beauty. How had she ever become involved in that life to begin with? She should’ve been married in high society and have a child or two by now. He was happy he was there that day.

Meeting Sally brought a minute amount of healing after losing Loralee two years before.  His young wife had been only a few weeks from delivering when she came down with high a fever. It caused her to lose their only child, and a few days later, the illness combined with the added sorrow of losing the baby forced her to succumb to the fever herself. A lone tear escaped and he wiped it before anyone saw.

The Sheriff rode back into town, and Buddy stepped onto the wooden walkway to greet him and take his horse for him.

“Sheriff, is farmer Roberts all taken care of?” Buddy asked when the man stopped the horse.

“Yes, for now, but he may need help soon. A couple of farm hands would sure do him good now that his boys are all grown and gone. If you know of anyone…”