Chapter Five

A few weeks passed without further incident. Sally began to feel better about both her pregnancy and her predicament. The person harassing her, seemingly, had relented. She felt herself breathing easier.

Buddy came by every day to check on her. She found herself really looking forward to his visits. Buddy had been so gentle and considerate; she wasn’t sure what to think. He paid attention to her most basic comforts, insisting she put her feet up, bringing her water, and once he even rubbed her shoulders. Most men weren’t that forward, and Mamie even told Sally she thought it was inappropriate. She knew he was sweet on her, but wasn’t sure what could come from such feelings.

The unworthiness snuck in any time she thought she could return his affections. The memories of her past wrongs crowded and choked out her budding fondness for Buddy like a weed among the lilies. How would she ever be happy again if the very reason they met kept rearing its ugly head and reminding her? Buddy repeatedly said he wanted her, not her former life. He was a dream of a man, and not hard to look at, as men went. He wasn’t as good looking as Matthew had been, but what didn’t compare in the physical, Buddy made up for in spirit, trustworthiness, humility, and gentility. She didn’t even feel it was fair to compare Buddy and Matthew. They were as different as day and night.

Sally sighed deeply, enjoying the beautiful day from the narrow front porch. Lottie had decided just the week before that she would be moving to the Banks’ home after all, promising to help Sally when it was time for her baby to come. Sally missed her dear friend’s constant company. However, if the person who wrote those nasty words, which had since been removed, left Lottie alone, Sally could breathe easier.

“Good afternoon, Miss Daniels.” Ugh, Mr. Davenport. He was young, some would consider him good looking, but Sally didn’t like the look in his eyes when he cast a glance her way. He was a scoundrel: She’d learned to be a very good judge of character over the past few years.

Politely smiling, she returned the greeting. “Hello, Mr. Davenport. How is your day?”

“Mighty fine: Mighty fine indeed, ma’am. Say, would you care to take a stroll with me?” He asked, all charm and no depth.

“No thank you. I’m afraid I’ve been a bit under the weather.” Sally lied, and badly.

“You have no trouble doing so with the deputy.”

“That’s because he’s proven his mettle once already. And, he cares about me, not about how I will make him look. Have a good day, sir.” Sally stood, turning to walk inside. Davenport jumped the three steps to the porch, and grabbed her arm roughly.

“You see, Sally, I know who you are. I know who you used to be, and I know you’re a woman of ill-repute who entertains men.” He grinned wickedly as lust clouded his eyes. She knew all too well what that look meant.

Sally raised a hand to slap his cheek, but he stopped it. “My past is in another city, buried. You have no interest in me. I suggest you take a walk before you wind up on the wrong end of my elbow, or knee!” She gnashed out. “Now good day! If I have to scream…”

“No one will care. You’re a trick and a whore, and they’d assume you’re letting me have my way with you.” He chuckled deeply, attempting to pull closer to her.

“I said let me go!” She spit in his face. His hand poised to slap her face, but never made contact.

“I believe the lady told you to leave, Mr. Davenport.” Buddy whispered in the man’s ear. “Now, giddy up on outta here so I don’t have to get mean about it.”

“Very well, but Sally, this isn’t over.” He sneered as he pranced down the steps with his proverbial tail tucked between his legs.

“Yes it is or I’ll file charges!” She jeered back.