Chapter Three

Sally took Buddy’s arm as they crossed the dirt and gravel packed street of the small mining town. Men roamed everywhere, covered in dirt, soot, and coal from their day’s labor. They looked at her with fervor, making her insides coil at the attention. She had spent many days and nights reading the old Bible Mamie kept on the mantle of the house. She’d found redemption and forgiveness in the months since leaving Boulder. Sally suddenly wished everyone could be as merciful as the Lord had proved to be. Sally’s mind wandered to the child she was going to have. Tears sprang to her eyes, and she had to stop and breathe deeply for a moment.

“Are you alright, Miss Sally?” Buddy’s attention didn’t help.

A tenuous smile graced her lips. He couldn’t know. Not yet. She had to wait longer before she told him. 

“I’m fine, thank you.”

“Miss Sally, I see right through you. Your words say one thing, but your eyes tell me there's somethin' you're keepin' to yerself. Tell me what’s botherin’ you?”

“Nothing to tell. I already told you about the hassle I get in town. I wish folks here could be more accepting. They have no idea what I’ve had to endure to get here; to be free of the life I led.” She lied, blaming it on the reception, or lack thereof, in town.

“Now, I’ve told you not to worry about Mr. Tabor. Will and I are gonna give him a good talkin’ to, and he won’t be messin’ with you or Lottie anymore.”

Sally gave him a genuine smile. “That’s good news. Thank you. Oh, Lottie was offered a paying job at the Banks' home. They even want her to move in with them. She doesn’t know if she wants it, though.”

“How come?” He asked, cocking his head to the left and giving her an inquisitive glance.

“She’s afraid to leave me. I think she should consider it, if you ask me. It’s good employment, and good pay.” Sally felt the weight lifting off her shoulders with the change in subject.

“What about you, Sally? Will you be okay without Lottie around?” Buddy asked.

“Oh, Buddy, I don’t know. I have been her protector for a couple of years now, and she’s so young… I found a way to do some good.”

“You’d miss her, no doubt. But, maybe there’s another way you can fill that void?” He hoped she’d catch the hint.

“You, Buddy Brand, are so cute. I have plenty to do. She’s a good friend. And, even though I think so much of you, I’m honestly scared to be near men.” Sally looked into his eyes. She’d hurt him. “Oh, Buddy, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to hurt you. You know I am fond of you.” She squeezed his arm.

Buddy remained silent for a moment. He always did wear his heart on his sleeve. He wasn’t surprised by her comment, or how she felt. She’d been hurt too much in her youth by men to want to be near one. He knew how much she had loved Richards.

“Sally, I owe you an apology.” Buddy said, finally working up the courage to bring the subject to her attention.

“Whatever for? I just hurt you and you want to ask me for forgiveness?” They turned back towards Mamie’s house.

“Yes, Sally. I’m afraid I’m the reason you don’t think you’ll ever be happy again.” He tried, but failed to come out with the right words.

“How can you say that? You’re a wonderful man.” He smiled, actually blushing, at the compliment. “And, for a man who’s been married, you sure are shy. I guess after living at Bill’s for six years, I don’t shy easily. Men don’t like that. They want an innocent. So, I’ll continue to be alone. For a while anyway.” She almost blurted her pregnancy to Buddy, but knew he would hi-tail it for the hills if he knew.