Chapter Twelve

“Why, hello Sally! It’s nice to see you again.” Bill smiled, a little too sugary sweet, and took her hand, kissing the back.

Sally’s breath hitched in her throat momentarily. She managed to stammer out: “I wish I could say the feeling was mutual, Bill, but under the circumstances, I hope you rot in he…”

“Now, Sally, watch your language, young lady.” Edna chided. “No matter how you feel personally about the man, you mustn’t speak so crudely.”

“Edna, normally I’d agree. But, this is Bill. And Bill and I both know we have a hate/hate relationship. He hates to let me live my life, and I hate him. Period.” Sally enunciated the word “period” and then smiled her “eat it and die” grin.

“Bill, breakfast is ready. Will you be taking your meal here in the kitchen, or in the dining room, dear?” Sally tried not to vomit at the too kind way Edna treated Bill. If only she knew how Bill treated women, she’d knock him with her knee where it hurt most and hand him a divorce decree before he recovered from the blow. That thought made Sally try hard to stifle a bodacious laugh.

“How about breakfast in bed with you on the side?” He acted like a starved man. Sally knew better. He had his pick of women almost every night. She hoped he never looked at her the same way again.

“I’ll meet you there. Sally, your plate is already served. You may eat where you wish.” Edna winked before she led her overweight and obnoxious husband up the stairs with a swish in her hips. Sally took the opportunity to try to run a letter to the Postman. She’d find a way out of there.

“Where do you think you’re going? I know Miss Edna would not approve of a woman in your state leaving the house.”

“Well, you are right there, but I just need to send this letter.” Sally tried sweet and semi-innocent, hoping the help would not hinder her progress in leaving.

“I don’t know if that’s a good idea, either.” The young woman responded with a taut expression. “You’re supposed to be here, hiding from bad people. How will you stay safe if they find you while you’re out?” Sally almost laughed out loud. So that was their story? She wondered if explaining that Bill was a major part of the “bad people.”

“How long have you worked for Edna?” Sally tried a different approach; gauging the loyalty of the young lady.

“Just a few months, but she rescued me from a life on the streets. She said one day, I’ll get to go work for Bill in Boulder, but I’m not old enough yet.” Her heart sank like a rock in a lake when the woman’s words reached her ears. The simple fact that Selma was excited about this prospect made Sally feel ill again.

“How old are you..? I’m sorry. I don’t know your name.”

“I’m Juliette.”

“Sally. And, I can tell you from experience that what Bill wants you to do, you won’t like. How old are you now?”

“I’ll be fifteen next month.”

Sally tried not to act shocked. Juliette. appeared far older than her fourteenth year. One more year, and she’d be robbed of her innocence and forced into the very life Sally had recently eschewed. It was too soon to tell her of what they had planned, so she offered a new idea instead.

“I tell you what, Juliette: Walk with me and you can be assured I will be well. Okay?”

“I don’t know. Henry will for sure disapprove this venture. And he reports everything…” she paused and looked around for the butler before whispering, “and he is in Miss Edna’s right pocket, if you catch my meaning.”