Chapter Seventeen

"Well, that went better than expected." Dexter laughed as the others attended his former ward in her motherly state. "Mrs. Wilkinson: We finally meet. Have you bothered to inform Mrs. Mulholland of your association with my niece?"

"Look here, whoever you are! My friend lies faint on the floor, with child, and you have the nerve to bait a disagreement? I will square away with Mrs. Mulholland AFTER we see to Sally's well-being. Have you no heart?" Corinne hissed before following the two men carrying Sally, and the two maids, up the stairs.

"Only for money, Mrs. Wilkinson." He cackled again, turning to Edna. "How's Bill? I haven't spoken with him in a month or two. We had to collaborate to get Sally back." His evil grin sent a chill through Edna's tough exterior. "Now, we get an extra beauty in the mix. Life couldn't be better."

"You'll not harm Mrs. Wilkinson. She remains with me. Don't make me get mean, Dexter. I make Bill look like a kitten with a ball of yarn." She smiled a little too sweetly before continuing. "And quit waving that gun around. Someone's going to get hurt. Put it down. NOW." He actually did as she asked. "What brings you here, Dexter? Other than to make this poor woman's life even more miserable than it already is?"

"I've come to bring her to Boulder. It was part of the deal. From the beginning." He stated simply, the triumphant smile never leaving his face.

"I'll tell you that she just awakened after three days in an unconscious state and now this? She'll go nowhere until her babe is born, like it or not. As far as the doctor can figure, that's no less than three more months. So, go run back to your master, that rotten scoundrel I have for a husband, and tell him she's not free to go. It'll be the death of the lady. I won't have a hand in it." Edna was rewarded with a hard slap to her cheek. Not to be outdone, she returned the favor in a most un-ladylike way: A left hook to his good eye. "Bill's never lain a hand on me like I'm one of his women, and you won't start. GET OUTTA MY HOUSE!" In a swift move, she grabbed her gun from the fireplace, and cocked it. Aiming for his chest, she backed the man out into the street.

She turned to the men guarding her home and in a resolute voice, announced: "IF THIS SORRY EXCUSE FOR A LOUSE EVER COMES BACK, SHOOT HIM! YOU DON'T ANSWER TO HIM ANY LONGER! YOU ANSWER TO ME!" Neighbors began to congregate on their porches, anxious to see what the cause of the commotion was.

"You'll regret this, Edna." Dexter's voice was entirely too calm for the atmosphere. "You'll regret this! I'll be back to exact my fury, if it's the last thing I do!"

"That's Mrs. Mulholland to you, louse." Edna aimed her shotgun at his forehead, engaging it as he turned and walked away.

*****

After Sally was once again resting, Corinne stood to walk downstairs. She was concerned by the words she'd heard that man speak. He wanted her, too. Now she wished she had listened to Ryne. Maybe there was a way out. She just had to find it. Edna was walking inside with her gun over her shoulder and a no-nonsense scowl on her beautiful visage. Corinne wasn't sure if she should be afraid or happy: That horrible man was nowhere in sight.

"What happened?" Corinne broke the awkward silence, asking uncomfortably about the bright red splotch on Edna’s pale complexion.

"He hit me. I made sure he knew who was boss in this town. I'm sending for Bill tomorrow." 

"I want to apologize for not being forward with my relationship to Sally." Corinne began timidly.

"And what exactly is your relationship to her?" Edna asked, curiosity evident in her tone, as she put her firearm back over the fireplace.

Corinne began to tell her the story and how they met. Edna looked confused, angry, hurt, happy, and relieved at the appropriate points, and was surprised at the horrors this young woman had been through so recently.