Chapter Eleven

Sally’s jailer seemed to be benevolent, at the least. Sure, she knew Edna, but only had met her a few times throughout the six years she spent as one of Bill’s “ladies.” Edna allowed Sally time in the garden and provided so much food that Sally could never eat it all. Edna had several dresses made to accompany her expanding waistline. How, she didn’t know. That was some fast sewing, but they were lovely, Sally thought to herself as she dressed for the day. She’d been with Edna a number of days already without a sign of Mr. Livingstone or Bill. Oh, she was sure Bill would be arriving sooner rather than later, but for right now, it was peaceful and calm.

Sally resolved to not allow herself to grow comfortable or complacent. She still had to find a way to send a letter to Buddy, Mamie, and Corinne to let them know she was safe, even if she couldn’t tell them where she was. Edna probably wouldn’t allow this, but she was going to try. That or she’d wait until Edna was out of the house, which hadn’t happened since Sally’s arrival. A maid or butler could send the note without letting on that Sally was being held against her will. She didn’t know if the workers were privy to such information or if they just worked and retired at the end of the day. Sally made up in her mind that she’d find out, and soon.

“Good morning, Edna.” Sally called out to her “hostess” as she ambled down the narrow back stairs towards the kitchen.

“Sally, good morning. I trust you slept well?” Edna asked without turning to face Sally. She was doing something like cooking, but Sally couldn’t figure out why when Edna had a cook, a maid, and other hired servants.

“I rested some. This baby is growing and has started kicking me all hours of the night. What are you doing there?” Sally responded.

“Making pancakes. Bill came in last night.” Edna turned, smiled broadly like a woman in love, leaving Sally’s blood cold.

*****

“She’s been gone four days, Will. FOUR DAYS! Without a letter or telegram to let me know she’s doing alright. I’m telling you, something is amiss.” Buddy paced the little room that doubled as Will’s “office” and the jail. There were no nefarious occupants to worry about at the moment.

“It takes five to ten days for letters to come by train. You already knew that. I’m saying give her a few more days. We don’t know what happened and we can’t make assumptions based on gut feeling, no matter how strong it might be.” The words of wisdom from his good friend and boss did not help Buddy to dismiss the unease that had taken over him, body and soul.

“I know. But, I did just receive her letter and it still read Colorado Springs. I have a feeling it went out the day she disappeared. She’s not okay. I just don’t know what to do to rectify the situation. There has to be a clue, somewhere.” Buddy, exasperated, expelled a loud breath. “I’m going outside for a bit. Do ya need anything done while I’m out?”

“No, my friend. You go collect your thoughts, and yourself. A deputy with his mind preoccupied is no good to this town. I will contact the surrounding counties and find out if the sheriffs know anything. We’ll find her and bring her back safely to you.” Slapping Buddy’s back with his hand, Will smiled. “I’m sure she’s okay.”

“From your mouth to God’s ears.” Buddy walked out without uttering another word.

*****

Corinne worried the floor pacing back and forth. She’d not been much use at all, in her opinion, since Sally up and left. She was thinking there was more to Sally’s disappearance, as she was referring to it, then they originally thought. Sally wasn’t one to up and leave like that. Was she? Corinne admitted to herself she really didn’t know. She started questioning how well she knew the woman. True, she’d been in a less-than-admirable place when they met, but everything she’d seen and found about Sally, she’d found to be good. Sally had tried to save her life, and tried to win the heart of her man. Now, it seemed, she’d won the heart of another man; a better man who would love her for who she was. But, she was learning that she didn’t really know the woman all that well. Maybe Mary Richards’s seemingly innocent question and statement rubbed Sally just wrong enough that she would feel like she needed leave. Sometimes, people ran when faced with opposition. The Sally she knew would not do that. Corinne, coming to the same conclusion she'd come to every day since, decided that something wasn't right.